Buenos Aires, Feb 9 (IANS) Spanish tennis great Rafael Nadal said he is focusing on “day-to-day” targets as he attempts to recapture his best form.
The 14-time Grand Slam winner was granted a wild card entry to this week’s Argentina Open after his first round exit at the Australian Open last month, reports Xinhua.
In 2015 the Spaniard endured his first calendar year without winning a Grand Slam title since 2004. The 29-year-old said he planned to use upcoming tournaments in South America and the United States to fine-tune his game ahead of the French Open in June.
“Each year is different but I have maximum expectations for Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Indian Wells and Miami. I get motivation by concentrating on what I’m doing on a day-to-day basis,” Nadal said.
“I’m preparing myself for a good season. I didn’t like my defeat in Australia but there’s nothing I can do about that now. I can only look towards the future and continue working hard.”
Nadal, who won last year’s Argentina Open, will begin his title defence against either Marco Cecchinato of Italy or Argentine Juan Monaco in the quarterfinals.
The ATP 250 clay court tournament here will also boast World No.6 David Ferrer, No.9 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and No.12 John Isner.
Nadal’s next assignment after Buenos Aires will be the Rio Open, starting February 15. The former World No.1 had words of support for rival Roger Federer, who is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.
“I am very sorry for him. It seems like it’s nothing too complicated and won’t keep him out for too long. I hope it all goes well and that he recovers soon,” Nadal said.