Udupi: The blessings and inauguration of the Memorial Altar and the blessings of the newly erected Belfry Tower took place as part of the upcoming inauguration of the newly renovated Church at the St Francis Xavier English Medium School grounds Melpete, Udyavar on April 17, 2016.
The Holy Eucharistic Mass was celebrated on the verge of the Church completing 150 years of the existence dedicated to the patron ‘St Francis Xavier’ in Udyavar. The Church here existed from its inception in 1866 to 1908 and a brief detail has been engraved on the granite.
Msgr Baptist Menezes, vicar general, diocese of Udupi, inaugurated and blessed the Memorial Altar. Presiding over the mass, he said, “I congratulate each and every parishioner of Udyavar this evening while you all are preparing for the inauguration of the Church.”
Patrick D’Silva and Godfrey D’Souza, Project In-Charge of the Memorial Altar were lauded for their good work. Irene Pereira compered the session.
A procession with the Patron’s Statute followed after the Mass from Melpete grounds to Guddeangadi, where the present church has been renovated.
Thereafter the Inauguration of the new belfry tower took place, wherein Dr Gerald Isaac Lobo, Bishop, Diocese of Udupi unveiled the sponsors granite of the new bell, while Wilfred and Sophia Crasto of Pithrody, Udyavar on behalf of their family, unveiled the sponsors granite of the bell tower.
Blessing the newly erected belfry tower, Bishop Gerald said, “So far by the blessings of St Francis Xavier we have come to an end of building a Church without any serious obstructions. It is a rare opportunity for this generation to give testimony of the great events to happen ahead, to the next generation and even more rare opportunity to build a Temple of Prayer to show our gratitude to God. Only 11 days to go for the inauguration of the church, let’s come together to work hand in hand and be prepared to welcome the big day and moment in our lives. Let the ringing of these bells bring us together from now on.”
Fr Steevan D’Souza, Director, Divya Jyothi, Diocese of Udupi, Fr Roshan D’Souza, Moodubelle, Fr Simon D’Souza, Holy Cross Congregation, Katpady, and Dr Roque D’souza, Parish Priest, Udyavar, Lawrence D’Sa, Vice President and Michal D’Souza were also present.
The Crasto brothers, namely Norbert, Wilfred, Norman, Victor and their families had donated a lump sum amount entirely for the belfry tower in memory of their late parents Gregory and Matilda Crasto. The old bell that was installed in the year 1970 has also been installed next to the new one. The bell tower comes with an amazing height up to 110 feet from the ground.
Steevan Colaco compered the session at the Church grounds.
The Hore Kaanike Procession will take place on April 24, 2016 at 3:00 pm. All the devotees bearing Hore Kaanike will join the procession at Jai Hind Complex which will be flagged off by H D Mendonca, S P Lokayukta, Karwar, Uttara Kannada.
An Inter-Religious Meet at 5:30 pm will follow at the St Francis Xavier Church grounds.
Internationally renowned musician Ustad Rafique Khan and his team will perform ‘Music for Harmony’ on the occasion.
The newly renovated church will be inaugurated on April 28, 2016.