Team Mangalorean - Suburban
Mangalore: Sheela (75) and her granddaughter Mallika (23) of Ganeshpura of Katipalla on the outskirts of the city were severely injured when a liquefied petroleum gas cylinder exploded in their house in the early hours of Saturday, June 23.
Sheela is the mother of Raghavendra, an archak in Ganeshpura temple, and Mallika is his daughter. Two LPG cylinders had been supplied by an agency on Friday. One of them was apparently leaking.
Although the members of the household could feel the smell of gas since Friday, it was a common experience for them because of the frequent fumes emitted from MRPL and BASF plants in the vicinity. The gas appeared to have spread in small quantities all around the house.
On Saturday early morning, Raghavendra and his son had been to the temple for morning rituals. Sheela, after bath, struck a matchstick to light the lamp in front of the deity at home. The gas caught fire and the cylinder burst. Both Sheela and Mallika sustained severe facial and body injuries.
The neighbours came running and rushed them to a hospital in Mukka. They are said to be out of danger.
The house is also partially damaged in the blast. The Suratkal police have registered a case.