By Violet Pereira, Team Mangalorean
Mangalore : A memorandum has been submitted by the Dakshina Kannada Working Journalists Union to withdraw the FIR, on two Journalists, who were present and video-graphing the assault scenes at the Morning Mist Home Stay resort on July 28, to the Police Commissioner at his office, here on July 30.
After receiving the memorandum the Police Commissioner Seemant Kumar Singh said, I never said "Media is responsible for moral policing", but if the media representatives were present on the spot they could have informed us, the incident would have been prevented and the need to record it, would not have been necessary. He said even one constable on the spot would have prevented the incident from happening. First and foremost I don't hold media responsible in moral policing and I am the last person to do so. When the incident happened, before they started recording the attack, why didn't they informed us? Whatever the activists did is different but the footage was only showing the victims faces every now and then. He stated that, the police department is not against the media.
There are more than 65 different media in Mangalore, why all of them were not present at that time, why persons from only two channels were present there? he questioned. He further urged the media to cooperate with the police in preventing any untoward incidents from taking place, kindly inform the police immediately by dialing 100. If our staff will not respond we will look into it. Yes, journalists do their duty, and coverage is their priority, so do the police. Besides that we have a common and bigger responsibility towards the society. Journalist must also think in humanitarian level too. "If the media will not accept this fact, then I am sorry", said Singh.
Rejecting the allegation of "Fixing", he said there is a allegation that Commissioner will fix some people from the media in this case, these allegations are false. If anyone after thorough investigation is found involved in this act, they will be punished legally and no one will be fixed. I am the last person to fix anyone, he said.
We came to know through the media that the police were informed before the camera men reached the spot and the police reached late. In case the police had been informed and they have not responded to the call we will take action against them too. He also suggested to the President of DKWJU Harish Rai to form a committee including journalists and the police and discuss this issue. He also asked the media to come forward with any information in this case.
He also said that the cameramen profession is to shoot the complete incident, instead the videographers were focusing their cameras on the faces of innocent girls and telecasting it, over and over again. That is not right, the students were just celebrating the birthday of their friend. What have they done to anyone ? he questioned.
While concluding he said, "We work for the betterment of the society and safety of the people is our main concern". If no mistake is committed from the media persons then the case will be dismissed. We are investigating the case and the facts will come out soon ".
Related News :
Mangalore: Homestay Attack - 4 More Culprits Arrested Taking Total to 12
Mangalore : Handover Culprits to Us - We'll Teach Them
Mangalore: 'Got to Know What Merciless Goons are Like', Says Attack Victim
Mangalore: HJV Washing Hands Off on Resort Attack
Mangalore: BJP government has been an utter failure - Janardhan Poojary
Mangalore: Resort Attack - ADGP Says Eight Arrested, More to be Nabbed
Mangalore: Trouble Brewing - Section No. 144Promulgated in City
Mangalore: Anger against Rampage at Resort Snowballs - Protests Planned
Mangalore: Immoral Policing - HJV Activists Raid Resort, Assault Party-goers