Nishikori withdraws from Wimbledon with calf injury

Wimbledon, July 2 (IANS) Fifth seed Kei Nishikori of Japan has pulled out of the Wimbledon Championships because of a left calf injury.

The decision was announced on Wednesday before his second round match against Colombian Santiago Giraldo in the second match on Centre Court, reports Xinhua.

The same injury also forced him to withdraw midway through his semi-final against Andreas Seppi in Halle, a warm-up tournament for Wimbledon.

World No. 60 Giraldo thus became the first man through to the third round of the men’s singles.

Nishikori, 25, said the injury worsened during his five-set win over Simone Bolelli in the first round.

“It got better before the first match, you know, last week. I thought it was really going to be okay. But last match in fifth set I was hurting too much,” Nishikori said.

“I don’t know how I fought through but somehow I won. I thought it would get better in two days but today it was still hurting, just walking and running, so I decided not to play. It is not a big injury, I think a little tear,” Nishikori, who lost to Stanislal Wawrinka in 2014 US Open, added.

“I’m very disappointed. Especially it’s a Grand Slam. I thought I was playing well on grass. So very unfortunate to lose this chance. But, you know, I try to keep it up. Hopefully I can do well in the US series.”

Leave a Reply