Now, NCW summons Salman on July 8 over ‘rape’ remark
New Delhi, June 30 (IANS) The National Commission for Women (NCW) has summoned Bollywood superstar Salman Khan for personal appearance before it on July 8 over his “raped woman” remark, the panel said on Thursday.
Salman Khan earlier replied to an NCW notice, but the commission was not satisfied with his response. It said on Wednesday that it was mulling further action.
In the summons to Salman Khan issued on June 30, the NCW said: “Whereas you were asked to offer a public apology along with a satisfactory explanation to the commission in the matter… the commission finds that you are not willing to apologise for the remarks made by you.”
“Your statement undermines the experience of sexual assault against a woman, which results in extremely serious physical and emotional/mental consequences for her. Such remarks only seem to further desesnsitise people to the plight of these women,” the NCW observed.
“Your reply is not statisfactory… you are herbey required to appear before the commission in person on July 8 at its office,” it added.
The NCW said that if Salman Khan failed to comply with the summons, the commission “may proceed to take such appropriate action as it deems fit”.
The actor has already been asked by the Maharashtra State Women’s Commission to personally appear before it on July 7.
During a media interaction last week, Salman said he “felt like a raped woman” after shooting for a gruelling wrestling sequence for his upcoming film “Sultan”. He plays a wrestler in the film.
Asked about the shoot of wrestling scenes for the movie, he said: “While shooting there was so much of lifting and thrusting that it was unbelievable… When I used to walk out of the ring, I used to feel actually like a raped woman walking out… I couldn’t take steps.”
Women’s groups protested the remark and demanded an apology. The actor’s father, Salim Khan, has apologised on his behalf.