Obama criticises Trump for ‘demeaning women’

Obama criticises Trump for ‘demeaning women’

Washington, Oct 10 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has criticised Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump for “demeaning women” amid the scandal that erupted after the release of a videotape in which the latter can be heard making lewd comments about women.

“It tells you that he’s insecure enough that he pumps himself up by putting other people down,” said Obama at a Democratic Party fundraiser in Chicago on Sunday, Efe news reported.

“It tells you he doesn’t care much for the basic values of civility or respect,” Obama said.

The president also said Trump’s “unbelievable rhetoric” has been “disturbing.”

This was the first time Obama had commented publicly about Trump’s recently revealed comments, which came to light on Friday with the release of a 2005 videotape in which Trump can be heard making obscene and vulgar remarks about women.

Obama said that Trump had made other derogatory remarks about other groups during the campaign, “Demeaning women, degrading women, but also minorities, immigrants, people of other faiths, mocking the disabled.”

Top leaders of the Republican Party have roundly condemned the offensive words used by the New York businessman.

On Saturday, Trump made it clear that he has no intention of backing out of the race, telling The Washington Post: “I’d never withdraw. I’ve never withdrawn in my life,” and The Wall Street Journal that there is “zero chance I’ll quit.”

He also released a taped apology, although that apparently has done little – so far at least – to quell the public outcry over his remarks.

A survey published on Sunday, seems to confirm Trump’s apparent decision to remain in the race, given that the vast majority of his supporters say they continue to support him and are not listening to the GOP leadership’s calls for him to throw in the towel.

The scandal, and its accompanying firestorm of criticism for the mogul, comes as he is preparing to face off with Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in the second presidential debate Sunday evening, broadcast from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.

Clinton has remained silent on the matter since Friday, when she said in a Twitter post: “This is horrific. We cannot allow this man to become president.”

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here