Pakistani varsity reopens 25 days after attack 

Islamabad, Feb 15 (IANS) The Bacha Khan University (BKU) in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan, which was closed following a militant attack that killed at least 21 students, reopened on Monday after being given a security clearance.

Vice chancellor Fazal Rahim Marwat received students as they entered the campus amid tight security, Dawn online reported.

“We are satisfied with the security arrangements at the campus,” Marwat said.

The first day of resumption of academic activities aims to relieve students of the “psychological trauma they underwent”, Marwat said, adding that special lectures would be delivered in this regard.

BKU spokesperson Saeed Khan said security arrangements for studies to resume at the university were “complete”. However, watch towers were yet to be installed.

“We will not be cowered [by terror threats]… we will continue to learn,” said an MSc student, who arrived at the campus for classes on Monday.

The varsity administration decided a week after the January 20 attack that academic activities will not commence till adequate security was ensured in the campus located in Charsadda district of the province.

Saeed Khan on Friday said the university’s security committee, after a thorough review, cleared the varsity for resumption of academic activities. But students and the staff would not use university transport, he said.

Charsadda district police official Sohail Khan also said security clearance had been given to BKU, adding that eight policemen will be stationed in the university premises and a mobile van will be deployed outside.

Four female university employees would be tasked with keeping an eye on female students, he said.

University’s director of administration Shakil said the administration has made foolproof security arrangements, adding that CCTV cameras had been installed, boundary wall raised to the required height and number of security guards increased from 54 to 84. He said that recruitment of 30 more guards was underway.

On February 1, spokesman Saeed Khan said the varsity administration rejected the government’s inquiry report on the attack which had called for removal of vice chancellor and security in-charge.

Leave a Reply