At least 140 dead in Paris attacks, four suspects killed

Paris railway station evacuated over bomb alert

Paris, Nov 14 (IANS) Gare de Lyon, one of Paris’ main train stations, was evacuated Friday afternoon following a bomb alert, Xinhua news agency reported.

Hundreds of passengers were forced to leave the station after a bomb threat had been posted on social networks, police said.

pp

“Everything has returned to normal. Passengers can again enter the station and trains run again,” state-run railway company SNCF was quoted as saying.

France has been on high alert since the Charlie Hebdo series of attacks in January 2015.

The government is keeping security at the highest level and has deployed 10,000 soldiers across the country to ensure security, mainly of sensitive places such as religious centers.

Deaths from restaurant shooting, explosions in Paris reported

Paris, Nov 14 (IANS) Several people are killed, at least seven are injured, during a gun shooting in a restaurant in the 10th district of Paris on Friday night.

Nearly at the same time, at least two, possibly three explosions are heard next to Stade de France, Xinhua quoted the local media as saying, adding that the national football stadium is now locked down, nobody goes in or out.

Also, according to some witness, gunshots are also heard in the 11th district of Paris.

At least 140 dead in Paris attacks, four suspects killed 

Paris, Nov 14 (IANS) Four suspected attackers were killed during the hostages rescue operation conducted by French security forces on Saturday at the Bataclan theater after Paris saw a series of explosions and shootings on Friday that reportedly killed at least 140 people and injured many more.

About seven simultaneous shootings rocked central Paris Friday night with one of which turned to hostage taking at the Bataclan theatre and concert hall where hundreds of people were attending a concert of a rock group, Xinhua reported.

During anti-terrorist forces assault at the hall, at least 140 people died and four suspected attackers were killed, the local media reported.

Two explosions were heard near the national football stadium Stade de France where a France-Germany friendly soccer match was being played, attended by French President Francois Hollande.

Rushing back to the Interior Ministry from Stade de France, Hollande condemned the “unprecedented terrorist attacks”.

In the 11th district of Paris, after shooting in the theatre Batacla, police confirmed a hostage taking. During police’s deployment in front of the theatre, two or three individuals, heavily armed, opened fire at the security forces.

In an eyewitness report posted on Europe1 website, Julien Pierce, a journalist said “two or three individuals, who are not wearing masks and armed with kalachnikov entered the hall while the concert was underway and started blindly shooting at the crowd”.

In a brief statement on television, the French president declared a state of emergency across the country and the borders were to be closed.

“Some places will be closed, traffic will be banned and searches may be conducted throughout the Ile-de-France,” he said, adding about 1,500 military reinforcements have been deployed “to ensure that no other attack can take place”.

In addition, the capital schools and universities will be closed on Saturday.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the Paris attacks, but according to the news channel BFMTV, the terrorists shouted “It’s for Syria”.

The likely coordinated attacks came as France, a member of the US-led coalition combating the Islamic State (IS) in Syria and Iraq, struck the group’s strategic targets this week.

On high alert for terrorist attacks, the French government raised the anti-terrorism alert to maximum and additional thousands of security forces have been poured across the country to protect sensitive sites.

Hollande, who cancelled his participation at the G20 summit, will head a defense meeting on Saturday morning after the deadly attacks has shaken the country’s security policy ahead of the high-profile international conference on climate scheduled for the end of this month.

Meanwhile, the international community has strongly condemned the attacks on the French capital.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned “the despicable terrorist attacks carried out today in various locations in and around Paris”.

British Prime Minister David Cameron on Friday said he was “deeply shocked” by the deadly attacks in Paris, offering “thoughts and prayers” to the French people.

“I am shocked by events in Paris tonight. Our thoughts and prayers are with the French people. We will do whatever we can to help,” Cameron said via his Twitter account.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Friday evening that she was deeply shocked by the attacks in Paris and declared solidarity with France.

US President Barack Obama on Friday condemned the deadly attacks currently still unfolding in Paris and said it was too early to determine who was behind those attacks.

Calling the attacks in and around Paris on Friday evening “an outrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians,” Obama said the US stood ready to provide assistance for the French government.

He also said US officials were “in contact with French counterparts to communicate condolences to families of the victims”.

Modi condemns France attacks

New Delhi, Nov 14 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday condemned the deadly attacks in France capital Paris, and said the tragedy is anguishing and dreadful.

“News from Paris is anguishing and dreadful. Prayers with families of the deceased. We are united with people of France in this tragic hour,” Modi said in a tweet.

Paris saw a series of explosions and shootings on Friday that reportedly killed at least 140 people and injured many more, Xinhua reported.

Four suspected terrorists were killed during the hostages rescue operation conducted by French security forces on Saturday at the Bataclan theatre.

Total seven simultaneous shootings rocked central Paris on Friday. One of it turned to hostage taking at the Bataclan theatre and concert hall where hundreds of people were attending a concert of a rock group.

Obama condemns Paris attacks

Washington, Nov 14 (IANS) US President Barack Obama on Friday condemned the deadly attacks currently still unfolding in Paris, France, and said it was too early to determine who was behind those attacks, Xinhua reported.

paris

Calling the attacks in and around Paris on Friday evening which had so far claimed at least 40 lives “an outrageous attempt to terrorise innocent civilians,” Obama said the United States stood ready to provide assistance for the French government.

He also said US officials were “in contact with French counterparts to communicate condolences to families of the victims”.

According to a statement issued by the Pentagon, US defense chief Ash Carter was closely monitoring the situation in Paris, and no US defense department personnel had so far been affected by the attacks.

Citing US Homeland Security officials who spoke on condition of anonymity, US media reported earlier that the United States believed that the attacks now underway in and around Paris were coordinated.

So far, no group or individuals had claimed responsibility for the attacks, and Obama said in his brief statement that he would not speculate at this moment who was responsible for the attacks.

3 Comments

  1. Dear readers,

    The terrorists struck soft targets: cafes, concert halls,places where ordinary people thronged. They don’t have the courage to face soldiers.The news from Paris is anguishing and dreadful.Prayers with the families of the deceased.

    World need to be united against the barbarism.May be it is New York, Mumbai,Palestine or Paris the horrific act is condemnable.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/YumnaSheraziPTI/status/665428174906503168/photo/1

    To people blaming refugees for the attacks in Paris tonight.Do you not realize these are the people the refugees are trying to run away from?

    Jai hind

  2. I am very sorry, shocked and at a loss for words at this carnage. It is high time that the democratic and secular world unites and gets rid of ISIS, Taleban, Al Qaida, Al Hammas and other terror outfits. Islamic terrorism is becoming a scourge in this world and spoiling the name of peace-loving Muslims. The European countries which have been magnanimous in welcoming refugees from Syria, Iraq and other Arab and Muslims countries will face immense problems. I am especially talking about Germany which is having a population that is predominantly.

    I wonder how many of these refugees are fanatics, terrorists and potential time bombs. It appears the French intelligence services are lax and they could not detect trouble brewing.

Leave a Reply