Philippine President wants to end military drills with US

Philippine President wants to end military drills with US

Manila, Sep 29 (IANS) Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte wants to end joint military drills with the US to emphasise his country’s independence from that country, the presidential spokesperson said on Thursday.

Duterte on Wednesday announced his intention to put an end to the regular military exercises between the US and Philippine armed forces in a speech in Vietnam where he is on an official visit, EFE news reported.

“(Duterte) wants to mark the course of a free and independent Philippines … He sees it as something that will bring well-being and prosperity to the nation,” spokesperson Ernesto Abella said.

Although Abella seemed to be hinting at a shift in the country’s foreign policy, Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay had clarified after the speech that Duterte was referring to joint patrols in international waters.

Duterte said the drill between the US and the Philippines starting from October 4 and 12 in Luzon and Palawan regions, with the participation of around 2,000 soldiers, will be the last ones.

In recent weeks, Duterte has been reaching out to Russia and China, and moving away from the US, a country that has historically been one of its major allies.

So far, both countries have maintained the same strategy against Beijing in the South China Sea territorial dispute, with Washington supporting Manila in modernization and training of its armed forces.

Although Duterte has assured that he will respect the military agreements that allow the US to use Philippine bases and increase its presence in the region, he has also expressed on numerous occasions his desire to seek a more independent foreign policy.

Bilateral relations have deteriorated since Duterte assumed presidency in June and began a violent campaign against drug trafficking, which has left more than 3,500 dead.

The President has come under severe criticism for his aggressive anti-drugs campaign from Washington and others.

In a counter-attack, he had denounced the hypocrisy of the US and protested against the massacres the latter allegedly carried out in the early 20th century in southern Philippines, which was once an American colony.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here