Philippines president to Obama: ‘I’m no American puppet’

Philippines president to Obama: ‘I’m no American puppet’

Washington/Manila, Sep 6 (IANS) US President Barack Obama had better think twice about raising the issue of Philippine extra-judicial killings, warned the country’s confrontational leader on Monday.

The US president and his Philippines counterpart, Rodrigo Duterte, were set to meet in Laos this week, where Obama is attending a meeting of Southeast Asian leaders. White House officials previously said Obama would confront the Philippines President about his country’s handling of drug dealers, including extra-judicial killings, or government executions without the benefit of judicial proceedings or due process, CNN reported.

But the Filipino leader did not take kindly to that notion.

“Who does he think he is? I am no American puppet. I am the President of a sovereign country and I am not answerable to anyone except the Filipino people,” Duterte scoffed in a speech on Monday. “Son of a b****, I will swear at you.”

Duterte went on to blame the US for causing the unrest on the southern Philippines Island of Mindanao.

“As a matter of fact, we inherited this problem from the United States,” he said. “Why? Because they invaded this country and made us their subjugated people. Everybody has a terrible record of extra-judicial killing. Why make an issue about fighting crime?”

In response, Obama suggested on Monday his planned meeting with Duterte may not go forward.

“I always want to make sure if I’m having a meeting that it’s productive and we’re getting something done,” Obama said during his news conference.

“If and when we have a meeting, this is something that is going to be brought up,” Obama said, referring to the Philippines’ controversial record of combating drug crime since Duterte took office earlier in 2016.

“Look at the human rights of America along that line. The way they treat the migrants there,” CNN quoted Obama as saying.

Since Duterte was elected, more than 1,900 people have died, including at least 700 in police operations that were part of the President’s hard-line war on drugs.

“Double your efforts. Triple them, if need be. We will not stop until the last drug lord, the last financier, and the last pusher have surrendered or put behind bars — or below the ground, if they so wish,” Duterte said during his State of the Nation speech on July 25.

Human Rights Watch has called for the International Narcotics Control Board and United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime to condemn the “alarming surge in killings of suspected drug users or dealers” in the country.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here