Los Angeles, April 25 (IANS) Legendary pop musician Prince, who recently passed away at the age of 57, stayed awake for “154 hours straight (over six days)” despite being hooked on sleep-inducing painkillers, detectives have been told.
As the star’s family gathered at his home for a memorial 24 hours after his private cremation, his brother-in-law said that the singer had not slept for six and a half days before he was found dead in a lift, reports mirror.co.uk.
Maurice Phillips, who is married to Tyka Nelson, the “Purple rain” star’s sister and only full blood relative, said: “I was with him just last weekend. He worked 154 hours straight. He was a good brother-in-law”.
Friends fear he may have been overprescribed drugs by a doctor.
But Prince’s insomnia appears to clash with reports that he was taking high levels of painkiller Percocet, which is believed to have led to him overdosing aboard his private jet, five days before he died.
However, in extreme cases, users of the prescription drug have said it has kept them awake, especially when mixed with other medication.
Prince was found dead at his home at Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minnesota, on April 21.
Detectives are understood to have discovered a number of prescription drugs there.
Authorities have said his death is not attributable to suicide or obvious trauma.
“Prince’s medical history is at the top of detectives’ list when it comes to cause of his death,” a police source said.