Qatar: Konkan Toastmasters club chartered in 2005 has witnessed tremendous growth over the last few years. Under the headship of President TM Riana Pinto and her dynamic executive committee the club has witnessed tremendous success. It was a moment of pride for all the members of the club to witness the accolades bagged by the club. The dignitaries of the Area, Division and District were brimming with pride as they heard the success story of the club on the occasion of its 10th anniversary.
The Distinguished Club Program helps clubs promote quality, ensure productive meetings, provide structure and guidance and increase the enthusiasm of the club. Every year, Toastmasters International recognizes high-performing clubs. Konkan club has achieved ‘President’s Distinguished’ stature in the past many years. But this year for the first time in history, Konkan Toastmasters club notched a 10 on 10 in the Distinguished Club Programme.
Konkan Club members were on a roll this contest season. TM Jonathan Sequeira, TM Denzil Fernandes and TM Anas Ahmad bagged 7 out of 9 awards at the Area level contests. At the Division level contests, TM Denzil Fernandes secured 2nd place in the International speech contest and TM Jonathan Sequeira secured 1st place in both Table Topics and Evaluation speech contests. He furthered on to the District level contest where he brilliantly secured 3rd place in the Evaluation speech contest competing against the intense winners of 7 countries – Qatar, Jordan, Bahrain, Lebanon, UAE, Oman and Kuwait. It was again for the first time in the history of Konkan Toastmasters Club where a member had reached and won at the District Level Contest.
Apart from the contest, the club’s members have shone in their Leadership roles as they served as Division and Area officials. TM Joseph Stanley as Assistant Division Governor Education and Training for Division Q, TM Christopher Almeida as Area Governor for Area 52, TM Mou Bera as Area Governor for Area 68 and TM Melvin Buthello as Area Governor for Area 44. All the three Area Governors were efficacious in adding a new club to their respective areas. TM Christopher Almeida and TM Melvin Buthello succeeded in attaining ‘President Distinguished Area’ stature for their Areas. TM Christopher Almeida was the only Area Governor who released a newsletter titled ‘RISE’ for his Area. The club acknowledged their incredible energies and services towards the Toastmasters community. Division Governor, Division Q and Lieutenant Governor Marketing, District 20 also acknowledged at the Quest Nite held recently, the triumph of Konkan Club and its members and conferred the following awards:
• TM Joseph Stanley- Award of Excellence for an excellent job done as ADGET, Division Q.
• TM Mou Bera – Award of Excellence for her good performance as Area 68 Governor, Division Q and Area Rescuer Award for Area 68 for Creating a new Club and saving a weak club.
• TM Christopher Almeida (Past President) – Award of Excellence for his good performance as AREA 52 Governor, Division Q, Area Governor of the Year in Division Q, Special Citation Award from Division Q Governor in recognition for his hard work, Dedication and diligence and District 20 (Qatar, Jordan, Lebanon, Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait) excellence Award from Lieutenant Governor, Marketing.
• TM Melvin Buthello (Immediate Past President) – Felicitated for his good performance as AREA 44 Governor, Division E and Golden Club Mentor Award for Mentoring a New Club.
• DTM Sampath Sowrirajan – Felicitated for achieving the Distinguished Toastmaster Title this term and being the first to do so in Division Q.
• TM Riana Pinto (Current President) – Division Governor’s Award, Division Q for Oustanding club (Konkan Toastmasters Club) for Educational Achievement 2014-15, Award of Excellence for her good performance as President, Division Q and Best Volunteer Award for going the extra mile to make COMMUNIQ a grand success, Division Q.
• TM Jovita Pereira (Current VP-Education) – District 20 Perfect 10 Club Achiever Award 2014-15, Konkan Toastmasters Club, District 20 – Club Fast Track Communicator award 2014-15, Konkan Toastmasters Club and District 20 – DCP Achiever Award 2014-15, Konkan Club
• TM Jonathan Sequeira (Current VP-Public Relations) – Felicitated by Division Q Governor for securing 3rd Place in Evaluation Contest at District 20 (Qatar, Jordan, Lebanon, Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait) and Division Governor’s Award, Division Q as the Editor for the Newsletter “IMPRINT”, (Konkan Toastmasters Club) for term 2014-15.
The Outstanding Toastmaster Award is determined by a point system based on Attendance, Participation, Contribution and Presentations done within & outside the club. TM Denzil Fernandes (First Place), TM Jonathan Sequeira (Second Place) and TM Anas Ahmad (3rd place) attained this award.
The ceaseless support from Wilfred Fernandes, Manager, Ghanem Gardens was whole heartedly appreciated by presenting a bouquet which was accepted on his behalf by his wife TM Mable Fernandes.
After such an action-packed and fruitful year, the current officers stepped down and new officers took on the responsibility of running the club ahead and taking it to much greater heights. Area 68 Director Elect, TM Sushmita Patnaik, conducted the Installation Ceremony of the new officers for the term 2015 – 2016. TM Jonathan Sequeira will head the newly elected committee. The other members of the committee are: TM Vanessa Pereira as VP-Education, TM Denzil Fernandes as VP-Membership, TM Anas Ahmad as VP-Public Relations, TM Vanessa Pearl Pereira as Secretary, TM Aloysius D’Souza as Treasurer and TM Royston D’Souza as Sergeant-at-Arms.
Before the baton of the club was handed over to TM Jonathan Sequeira, TM Riana Pinto credited the contributions of the past 10 Presidents who have served the club over the past 10 years.
If you have always wanted to try your hand at public speaking but did not know how, come and attend a Toastmasters meeting. It will be a rewarding and fun experience. Konkan Toastmasters meet on the second and fourth Monday of every month at 7:15 p.m. at the Ghanem Gardens Clubhouse. Please call on 66118551 for details.