Rajnath seeks action over attack on ministers’ convoy in Odisha
Bhubaneswar, June 25 (IANS) Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Saturday asked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to take appropriate action against the persons involved in the attack on the convoy of two central ministers.
Rajnath also asked Patnaik to ensure that such an untoward situation is not repeated in future.
“The Home Minister spoke to the Chief Minister of Odisha regarding the attack on the Union Ministers Shri Santosh Gangwar and Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti in Bhubaneswar,” tweeted the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
“The Home Minister has asked the Chief Minister to look into the incident and ensure the safety and security of the union ministers visiting the state,” said another tweet.
Some Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leaders and workers allegedly pelted stones at the car of Textiles Minister Santosh Gangwar, who was on his way to attend the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Vikas Ustav in Bargarh on Friday.
Gangwar was accompanied by Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, former Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda and BJP Odisha unit president Basanta Panda.
The BJD workers virtually surrounded Gangwar’s vehicle and pelted stones at the vehicles in the convoy when the leaders entered the western Odisha town. All this happened in front of the police.
Director General of Police (DGP) K.B. Singh said action would be taken against the police officials for dereliction of duty.
He said a DIG level official is probing the incident.
BJD spokesman Samir Dash said the government has already initiated action against the persons involved in the attack.
The BJD had earlier announced that it would not allow the central ministers to enter Bargarh alleging that the Centre has failed to initiate any developmental activities in the area.