Reliance Power plea on output ceiling on coal blocks declined

New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) The government has declined Reliance Power’s request to reconsider restrictions on production from its coal mines in the Moher and Moher Amlohri Extension blocks linked to its Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP) on grounds that the issue is before the courts, official sources said on Thursday.

The union coal ministry in a letter to Sasan Power sent on Wednesday said: “In view of pendency of court case, your representations … cannot be examined and no decision in the matter can be taken.”

In June last year, the ministry had asked Reliance Power to cut down production in the two blocks to 16 million tonnes per annum, from the current 20 MTPA.

The company had requested the ministry to reconsider the matter and withdraw the latter’s request to cut production, and had filed a writ petition on the matter in July last year in the Delhi High Court.

Reliance Power had earlier announced that its 3,960 MW Sasan UMPP had been fully commissioned.

Leave a Reply