Rs 125 Crore Reserved for Christian Community – MLC Ivan

Mangaluru: MLC Ivan D’Souza held a press meet at his office in the MCC premises here, on April 4.

Addressing the media persons, Ivan said, “In the recent budget session of the parliament I have raised many questions and the highlight of my question was about minorities. The government had allotted Rs 936 crores towards the development of the minority class in the state and this year we are successful in securing Rs 1396 crore towards the minorities.”

image001ivan-pressmeet-20160404-001 image002ivan-pressmeet-20160404-002

He further said that of the 1396 crore rupees, Rs 125 crore has been reserved for the Christian community. “However, we have observed that the entire amount was not utilized in the previous year. So I have put forward a proposal to form a Corporation for Catholic Minorities (CCM), which would ensure that the funds allotted for Christians are utilized for their development,” he said.

The CCM would provide up to Rs 1 crore for a community hall, heritage churches would get funds to preserve the heritage structure, direct transfer of fees to colleges on the day of selection of a catholic student through CET, Rs 15,000-25,000 as scholarship per student. “The CCM will have its offices in every Taluk so that it is accessible to people,” he added.

image003ivan-pressmeet-20160404-003 image004ivan-pressmeet-20160404-004 image005ivan-pressmeet-20160404-005

The Minority Council was introduced by the then CM, Yeddyurappa in 2011 and had allotted Rs 25 crore towards the Christian community in the first year. 60% of the funds were diverted to Christian Minority Council which then allotted it to build community halls and church structures. The remaining 40% funds were diverted to Christian Minority Development Council to be used for scholarships and self-employment.

“A committee will survey Dakshina Kannada and Udupi on 17 April, Kodagu and Chikkamagaluru on 18 April and Mysuru and Chamrajanagar on 19 April to analyze the current situation and give information to the minorities pertaining to the funding from the government,” he added.

MUDA Chairman, Ibrahim Kodijal, Mayor Harinath, former mayors Ashraf and Shasidhar Hegde and others were also present.


  1. Why is tax money spent on specific religious groups? I thought we were a secular nation and we don’t believe in mixing religion with state politics. Why can’t we allot money to all poor folks irrespective of their religious background?

    Well, these are the questions one would ask if he/she is intellectually honest and concerned about overall progress of our society. Then again, we are talking about third world nation with upside down policies!!!

  2. One more thing I noticed from this report – Rs.1396 crores secured for ‘minorities’. But Christians get Rs.125 crores. That’s less than 9% of funds allocated for ‘minorities’!!

    @ Joker Praveena Pinto – This is what one of your own members was trying to explain with a ‘Biriyaani’ example back in 2014!! If your recent posts are any indication, you still haven’t understood the bigger point. Oh well…why do we have so many geniuses in ‘Beef Club’?

  3. Nothing BUT MINORITY APPEASEMENT. RS 1396 crores if used for even water preservation and RAIN WATER harvesting .. it will help whole of Karnataka in this difficult days of frequent drought !!
    It is a well known fact that there are no dalits in Christian community and most of them are reasonably well off.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of or any employee thereof. is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here