Saudi-led coalition denies striking funeral in Yemen

Saudi-led coalition denies striking funeral in Yemen

Riyadh, Oct 9 (IANS) The Saudi-led coalition denied on Saturday carrying any air strike in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, sources from the coalition confirmed to local news Al Arabiya.

Earlier on Saturday, Yemen’s acting health minister Ghazi Ismail said the Saudi-led coalition air strikes on a funeral hall in Sanaa have killed 82 and injured 534.

The mourning ceremony was held for the father of the acting interior minister and rebel Houthi loyalist Jalal al-Ruwaishan.

The Yemeni official strongly condemned what he said “barbaric air attacks against civilians and civilian targets.”

However, the sources from the coalition said it has in the past avoided such gatherings and they have never been a subject of targets.

The Saudi-led coalition, which supports the internationally recognized Yemeni government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against Shiite Houthi rebels, have been air striking Yemen from March 2015.

Houthi rebels, supported by forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, seized Sanaa and some other cities in September 2014, forcing Hadi and his government into exile.

The airstrikes and fighting on the ground have killed over 10, 000 Yemenis, many of them women and children, and injured around 35,000 others, according to a UN report.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here