SDM College holds workshop on Cyber Crime and Laws

SDM College holds workshop on Cyber Crime and Laws

Mangaluru: The Akhil Bharatiya Adhivakta Parishad organized a workshop on Cyber Laws and Cyber Crime at the SDM Law College here, on July 22.

SDM College holds workshop on Cyber Crime and Laws

The programme began with an invocation. President of the Mangaluru Bar Association S P Chengappa inaugurated the programme by lighting the traditional lamp along with other dignitaries.

image001cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-001 image002cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-002 image003cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-003

Addressing the gathering, S P Chengappa said, “Comparing laws in the entire world, our country has more than 2000 enactments.” He recalled a suicide committed by a BSc student from Chennai as a result of cyber crime. “In another recent crime, one person in Kashmir instigated the people of Kashmir to join hands with terrorists through the social media. More than 45 people died as a result of the action taken by the security forces. In Bengaluru, a doctor encouraged people to join a terrorist group. Such things may happen in our surroundings too if we do not take serious measures.”

He also said, “You cannot run today’s business with yesterday’s methods and stay in business tomorrow. Computers have created history in the world by giving new things to the young minds but somewhere, it has had a negative impact too. We belong to different castes and creeds, but we have unity in diversity. We live in love and harmony but there are always some who try to sabotage the society. Let this workshop help the LLB students in their career. Technology should be used for good since misusing it could be dangerous.”

image004cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-004 image005cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-005 image006cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-006 image007cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-007

Explaining the concept and methods of hacking today, Chief guest, Ananth Prabhu said that at present hacking is being done through modern gadgets. “They are smart watches, drones and cameras. 97% of people or companies realize when their accounts have been hacked while the remaining 3% never realise it. But everybody’s online data is being compromised. Many people have the habit of going to a cyber cafe and logging in. Sometimes we use the free Wi-Fi. These are all vulnerabilities. Latest hackings are done using smart watches. Using this piece of technology, your movements can be tracked and ATM pin numbers can be found.”

He further said that drones equipped with guns have been developed to identify and shoot a target. In the next generation, crimes may take place without the interference of humans. “The worst way to hack is using cameras. Hidden cameras can be used to blackmail you. Now, you can get cameras in glasses, pens, watches and even in contact lenses with IoT (Internet of things). Nowadays, the internet is everywhere. It can also be available on a smart contact lens. Though these lenses may not have storage facilities in them, they can record and send the information by WiFi. In another three or four years, all physical crime rates will reach the floor, and all the crimes taking place will be cyber crimes. There will be tremendous potential for advocates and the students who are studying cyber law to fight cases.” Prabhu urged the students to earn a good reputation and be good citizens.

image008cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-008 image009cyber-crime-sdm-20160722-009

Advocate Prashanth Jhala from Mumbai delivered a talk on Cyber Law and Cyber Crime. Principal SDM College Majula delivered the presidential address. Guruprasad Shetty delivered the vote of thanks.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of or any employee thereof. is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here