Senior Woman Flung to Death by Wild Elephant near Somwarpet
Madikeri: Jayamma (80), a resident of Bembalur village in Somwarpet taluk of Kodagu, fell victim to a wild elephant attack in the early hours of Tuesday, Mar 29.
When she had gone for a morning walk in her farm, she spotted the pachyderm suddenly approaching in her direction. Sensing danger, she made a desperate effort to run home.
Just as she was nearing the door of the house, it chased her and coiled its trunk around her. Then it flung her to the ground and trampled on her feet and waist.
Neighbours came running as they heard her screams. The elephant had already escaped into the adjacent estate.
Next on its way, it is said to have tried to attack a bike-rider near the Yaslur forest. He managed to escape with minor injuries.
On hearing the news, deputy director of forests (wildlife) V Yedukondalu and Shanivarsante range forest officer Achappa arrived at the spot.
They assured of securing a relief of Rs 5 lakh from the department. As immediate compensation, they handed over a cheque of Rs 1 lakh to the family.
The villagers complained to the officials that wild elephants had been wreaking havoc in villages like Madre, Bembalur, Shivaralli, Bilaka and others. But the department had failed to take appropriate steps to check it. They took the officials to task, questioning them as to the use of coming to console after deaths occurred.
- Sullia: Wild Elephants Explore New Territory, Play Havoc at Former ZP Member’s Farm
- Sullia: Jumbos Simply Love Town Life, Refuse to Return to Natural Habitat
- Sullia: Jumbos March into Town Periphery Yet Again – Vital Link Road Closed for Public Safety
- Sullia: Sole Jumbo Appears Close to Panja Town – Possibly Same Old Trouble-maker
- Sullia: Unfazed by Drum-beats and Crackers, Wild Elephants Stay Put near Homes
- Subrahmanya: Father and Two Children Survive Close Encounter with Solitary Wild Elephant
- Sullia: Jumbos Show up in Adpangaya and Haspare Areas in Ajjavara Village
- Sullia: Jumbos Back again in Their Favourite Haunt at Mandekolu Creating Fear
- Beltangady: Sole Wild Elephant Marches into Human Habitat around Indabettu
- Puttur: Jumbo March on Shiradi Ghat Highway Brings Traffic to Standstill for Half an Hour
- Sullia: It’s Action Replay ! Jumbos Return to Cause Damage to Agricultural Growth outside Town
- Sullia: Citizens Heave a Sigh of Relief as Straying Jumbos Beat a Retreat into Forest
- Sullia: Wild Jumbos March into Town Periphery, Camp near KVG Edu-campus
- Sullia: After a Break, Wild Elephants Go on Rampage Again
- Sullia: Wild Elephants Shift Focus from Mandekolu to Aletty, Play Havoc in Farms
- Madikeri: Rogue Elephant Attacks and Kills Woman in Tata Estate in Pollibetta
- Chikkamagaluru: Jumbo Menace Unhindered – 5 Injured in Herd Attack near Mudigere
- Subrahmanya: Kulkunda Farmer Suffers Losses as Wild Elephants Go on Rampage again
- Sullia: After a Break, Wild Elephants Go on Rampage again
- Subrahmanya: Wild Elephant Marches on Main Road and near Bus-stand
- Madikeri: Wild Elephant Destroys Compound Wall of Sacred Heart School at Shanivarasante
- Chikkamagaluru: Rogue Elephant Camps and Marches around Right inside Coffee Estate!
- Madikeri: Wild Elephant Marches Close to Town, Creates Havoc at Wildlife Society Office!
- Subrahmanya: After a Short Gap, Wild Elephants Begin Marching into Farms again
- Puttur: Herd of Wild Elephants Appears on Highway Creating Scare and Insecurity
- Sullia: Agriculturist Dies in Wild Elephant Attack – Scare Spreads in Village
- Puttur: Trouble-maker Tusker Sent on ‘Punishment Transfer’ to Kanthapura Camp!
- Puttur: Tusker Violence – Laxmisha Flings and Kills Mahout Chandra
- Puttur: ‘Jumbo’ Scare in Town – Traffic Disrupted, Curious Mob Caned
- Subrahmanya: Rogue Elephant on Rampage – Farm Growth Damaged
- Beltangady: Rogue Elephant Creates Scare in Residential Areas around Mundaje
- Puttur: Bilinele Resident Critically Injured in Wild Elephant Attack
- Subrahmanya: Jumbo Scare – Wild Elephant’s Royal March on Highway!
- Puttur: Wild Elephants Create Jumbo Scare among People Working in Farms
- Subrahmanya: Wild Elephants Go on a Rampage in Farms – Heavy Loss Reported
- Sullia: Wild Elephant Uproots and Rolls Giant Tree across Highway – Traffic Blocked
- Puttur: Rogue Elephant Has a ‘Field’ Day in Kombaru