Seoul, Washington begin war games post Pyongyang rocket launch

Seoul, March 7 (IANS) South Korea and the US on Monday began their largest annual war games as North Korea’s top leader Kim Jong-un warned of a nuclear strike against the US following a nuclear test and rocket launch earlier this year, the Combined Forces Command (CFC) said.

The largest war exercises so far staged on the Korean peninsula came after North Korea tested its first hydrogen bomb on January 6 and followed up with the launch of a long-range rocket on February 7, which is seen as a test of ballistic missile technology.

The exercises, code-named Key Resolve and Foal Eagle, are scheduled to run till the end of April, Xinhua news agency reported.

The CFC said the UN Command, the unified command structure for the multinational military forces supporting South Korea during and after the 1950-53 Korean War, had informed the North Korean Army through the truce village of Panmunjom about the dates of the exercises and their non-provocative nature.

Joint amphibious landing manoeuvres, called Ssang Yong exercise, will also be the largest in scale since it was launched in 2012.

South Korea and the US have increased the deployment of surveillance assets against possible provocations from North Korea, which has denounced the war games as a dress rehearsal for a northward invasion.

In face of the US-South Korea war games, Kim had ordered nuclear warheads to be placed on standby for use at any time.

Kim said the enemies were planning to carry out the “beheading operation” that targets the North Korean leadership and its system.

He made the remarks when he guided the test-firing of a new multiple rocket launcher, boosting concerns over the already heightened tensions on the peninsula.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here