New Member: JENNIFER NAZARETH, India
| Join Now! |
Dharmasthala: In the Name of the Lord - a Year Since BSY-HDK Oath Drama
By Team Mangalorean Udupi
with file pics and from various sources
Beltangady : For the first time in history, H D Kumaraswamy, a former chief minister, and then-chief minister B S Yeddyurappa, both arrived in Dharmasthala on June 27 for an oath. A year since the political acrobatics neither of them has come out stronger.
In June 13, 2011 at a function held in Hubli, then-CM Yeddyurappa had spoken against Deve Gowda and his family saying that only two parties, Congress and the BJP must survive.
Kumaraswamy the next day issued a statement saying, all the CM's rhetoric apart, Yeddyurappa and his close confidant MLC Lehar Singh had approached him for a compromise.
Yeddyurappa, on the other hand, while undergoing treatment in Kottakkal in Kerala issued press statements from there itself saying that he had not sent anybody for a patch-up. He later said, "Kumarswamy and his family members are liars. Although there is a court for giving justice, that may be delayed. Hence I challenge Kumaraswamy to declared it under oath that I had approached him for a compromise. I would swear it was not true."
Kumaraswamy accepting the challenge replied that he was ready to swear the very next day in Dharmasthala. Yeddyurappa fixed June 27 to be the day for it. Kumaraswamy readily agreed. But later, Yeddyurappa, considering the possible effects of the swearing, pressure from the Math heads, senior leaders of the party, and also sensing the dissatisfaction in political circles about the swearing by two prominent leaders, Yeddyurappa opted out of the swearing and said he would offer only pooja.
There was discussion and speculation over the swearing of two political heavyweights in the media, among the people, in political circles. But when Yeddyurappa opted out, people would lose interest in the matter altogether. Yet Kumaraswamy kept saying he would swear in any case.
When it comes to declaring anything under oath at Dharmasthala, both parties have to inform in advance to the Kshetra about their swearing. It is a common belief that Lord Manjunath will never forget the word given in his presence. Once sworn, there is no penitence for it. Mere reference to swearing or verbal combat is pardonable.
But if the swearing is borne with untruth, it has no forgiveness and is beyond penitence. The effect of swearing is permanent. There is a rule that swearing is done within certain sentences.
Although Yeddyurappa and Kumaraswamy came to Dharmasthala on June 27, the swearing did not materialize. While Kumaraswamy handed over his letter to Dr Veerendra Heggade, Yeddyurappa did not offer the gifts accompanying the oath.
Within 3 days, the court empowered committee (CEC) submitted its report on mining irregularities. Consequently, Yeddyurappa had to resign within 3 months of the swearing episode. He had to go to jail. He was restless without power and position after being released from jail.
Although Yeddyurappa himself planted Sadananda Gowda in his seat, he felt as though he planted thorns there. He tried desperately to get rid of Sadananda Gowda over the following months. His supporters, who were pillars of strength too went to jail. All of BSY's efforts failed, and his own supporters in high command dropped him like a hot brick.
Both Yeddyurappa and Kumaraswamy got fed up with issues such as courts, trials, math heads, supporters and the like. After his resignation, Yeddyurappa came to Dharmasthala for offering his penitence, but yet bad luck does not stop nagging him.
Although there is no direct link between him and Lord Manjunath and Dharmasthala, Yeddyurappa brought his own misdemeanours to the Kshetra. As a result he had to face the music in differently severe ways.
Both Yeddyurappa and Kumaraswamy came to Dharmasthala as devotees. But devotees often kept reminding them : "Manjunath will never forget". This belief acquired more strength here among the people that one should not be nonsensical in religious matters, however mighty he is. The Lord is the Lord after all.
Lest we forget:
- Michigan: ICA celebrates the Amazing Women
- Udupi: Time-table of Mumbai Trains - Courtesy Railway Yatri Sangha (R)
- Kuwait: FOCC organizes DNV CRYcket 2013
- Mangalore: 'Bindaas Khavo' ? - Not Anymore! Vegetables Prices So Steep, You'll Freak!
- Mangalore: MLA J R Lobo Visits Dock to Take Stock of Pending Development Work
- Mangalore: Physiotherapy Outgoing Graduates and Post Graduates get Rousing Farewell
- Mangalore: Madhusudan D Kushe (78) of PVS Group No More
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat - Album
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat
- Kuwait: Billava Sangha Bids Farewell to Honorary Advisor A K Ravindra
- Ajman: Thumbay Group featured in 'Top 100 making an impact in the Arab World', by Forbes Magazine
- Mangalore: 'Rhythm' rocks Father Muller stadium
- Bangalore: Facebook Fallout - Lover in a Hurry to Marry Assaults Woman with Axe
- Puttur: MLA Shakuntala Shetty Cautions Officials against Taking Her for Granted
- Mangalore: Minister Rai Outlines Plans for Supply of Drinking Water, Preserving Nature
- Realty Buildcon Expo AD
- Udupi: A Dream Come True-Villagers Rejoice Over the Newly Constructed Bavalikudru Bridge
- Mangalore Realty Buildcon Expo '13 to Cater Complete Real Estate Needs of a Customer
- Vatican City: Pope Francis did not intend to perform any exorcism: Vatican
- Mangalore: Talent Research Foundation Confers 'Talent Milad Awards-2013'
- Mangalore: Minister Ramanath Rai has a Recurring Bond with Khakhi!
- Mangalore: City Cops' Crackdown on Speeding Motorists and Clampdown on Illegal Parking
- Mumbai: Spot-fixing taint reaches Bollywood, Vindoo arrested
- Mangalore: 'Victory is not Mine, It's yours, I am Just a Face of Your Victory' - MLA J R Lobo - Album
- Udupi: Shetty Couple killed in Bus Accident at Kaup
- Mangalore: Former International Sprinter Anand Shetty Passes Away at Age 52
- Mangalore: 'Victory is not Mine, It's yours, I am Just a Face of Your Victory' - MLA J R Lobo
- Udupi: Car and Truck collision, Three Dead on Spot Near Padubidri
- 5.45 circuit house ramantha rai
- 5.25 congress ramanath rai
- Mangalore: Bishop Dr Aloysius D'Souza Felicitates MLA J R Lobo
- Bangalore: D V Sadananda Gowda Quits BJP National Vice President's Post
- Mangalore: Congress is my religion, I have dedicated my life to Congress' - Ramanath Rai
- Puttur: Pillion-rider Dies on Spot after Tipper Knocks down Bike - Rider Critical
- Mangalore: Woman Loses Chain Worth Rs 70,000 to Snatcher while on Late-evening Walk
- 7.47 Iíll strive hard - Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake
- Udupi: ĎIíll strive hard for the welfare of the people of the districtí - Minister Vinay K Sorake
- Mangalore: B S Nagappa (81), Father of ZP CEO Vijayaprakash, Passes away
- Dubai: Indian university lecturer arrested in UAE
- Washington: Indian girl invents device that can charge phone in 20 seconds
- Dubai: Saudis not accepting newly-designed Indian passport
- Udupi: Urban Development Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake gets rousing welcome in Kaup
- Mangalore: IG South Sector Jayanth Murali Flags off Exclusive Special Coach for CAPF
- Mangalore: Sadananda Shetty Inaugurates State Level Inter-District Football Tournament
- Udupi: 24 Couples Tie Knot During Mass Marriage at Ambalpadi
- Mangalore: Garbage Collectors Or Garbage Sorters? Does MCC Care About Safety of Labourers
- Mangalore: Man From Bagalkot Found Hanging From a Tree Near Kadri Jogi Math
- Mysore: Yeddyurappa Briefly Goes 'out of Reach' - Gives Jitters to Security Team
- Mangalore: Distressed over Hospitalized Father's Illness, Doting Daughter Ends Life at Home