Mangalore : Sandesha Prathistana Felicitates 3 Achievers on Journalism Day
By Violet Pereira, Team Mangalorean
Mangalore : Sandesha Prathistana in association with Pingara weekly and Raknno Weekly, organized, "Journalism Day", in Sandesh Hall, Bajjodi here on July 1.
The programme began with a prayer dance by Vani Rajgopal and group. Director of Sandesha Prathistana Fr Vijay Victor Lobo welcomed the gathering.
President, Dakshina Kannada Working Journalist Association P B Harish Rai, recalling the days of Mögling's career at Mangalore said that there was no simple way of communicating news and other items to the general public because of non-existence of a medium like radio and of a newspaper in the native language.
" Herman Mogling thought that the society was in darkness, and it was like a close room without windows. To bring the society to light we need to create windows to the rooms and so he started Mangalooru Samachara in 1843. Media sheds light on the society by giving fair news but in recent days media is also misleading people by giving partial news". he said.
He continued further and said, "Media is a medium to educate people, it is not only limited for news but it is educating people by publishing all types of news. If there is any untoward incident happening in the society, be it in the political, educational or any other field, media should be unbiased in publishing the news.
Journalist Steevan Rego, Laxmi Machina from Belthangady, and Shehanaz from Anupama were felicitated on the occasion.
Addressing the gathering Director of Fathima Retreat House, Fr Dr Eugine Lobo said, "We do not know how many have the habit of reading newspaper every morning. In other states people prefer to read newspapers. We need to inculcate the habit of reading newspapers". Further he said that, journalists cannot create news but it is the duty of the journalists to provide unbiased news to the readers. Journalists should know the taste of the readers because human being is curious to know about the happenings in the society as well as in the world. Media should give such news which educate the readers as well as which makes the readers happy. He also shared his experience when he was in the Vatican Radio.
Editor of Raknno , Fr Francis Rodrigues delivered the vote of thanks. There was a cultural programme by the students of Sandesha.
- Bangalore: Yeddyurappa Hints at Tie-up with Other Parties ahead of LS Polls
- Chitradurga: Accident Update - Three Victims from DK District
- Jeddah: Nitaqat law: Procedures implemented in Indian workers' interest - Al-Faisal
- Mangalore: 'Aadhar' or 'Niraadhar'? - No End in Sight for Applicants' Plight!
- Hyderabad: Fugitive Andhra murderer extradited to US
- Mangalore: State Forest Minister B Ramanath Rai visits Infant Jesus Shrine
- Chitradurga: Youngster from Sullia Taluk among Four Killed in Ghastly Road Mishap
- Udupi: Two boys drown in Karvalu river at Alevoor
- Mangalore: Nine-year-old Boy Electrocuted at Marnemikatta
- Mangalore: Action Will be Taken Against ACP Jagannath if Found Guilty - Kharbikar
- Udupi: Kaup will be made Town Panchayat - Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake
- Ajman: GMU hosts GMU MASE 2013 – Biggest Medical and Science Exhibition for Students
- Udupi: Mangalore Police Arrest JD(S) Leader and Film Producer Dhanraj in Fraud Case
- Mangalore: Minister U T Khader inaugurates 'Mangalore Realty Buildcon Expo-2013'
- Udupi: Minister Sorake inaugurates MLA Pramodh Madhwaraj's New Office
- Mangalore: Health and family welfare minister U T Khader Receives Grievances from Public
- Saudi Arabia: 'Nitaqat' law - 75,000 Indians set to return, numbers could go up
- Mangalore: Janardhan Poojary Inaugurates MLA J R Lobo's Office at Kadri
- Puttur: Poaching of Rare Turtles in Netravati - MLA Takes up Matter with Police Chief
- Rockford (USA): Terry D'Souza Receives Presidential Medal
- Navi Mumbai: Actress charged with attempted kidnap of girl goes absconding
- Mangalore: BJP Trained Policemen to Harass Women during 5 years Tenure- Sara Abubaker
- Dubai: Saudi company to hire 5,000 Nitaqat-hit Indians
- Mangalore: 'One-Year Working in Rural Areas Mandatory for Medical Students'-U T Khader
- Udupi: State Government should Stay Away from Temples and Maths- Janardhan Poojary
- Washington: History maker 'Sri' Srinivasan's feat hailed widely
- Mangalore: Let the Present Government be Pro People - Former CM Sadananda Gowda
- Mumbai: Wife Commits Suicide While Husband Watches on Webcam
- Bangalore: Hoax Bomb Alert at IIMB Causes Scare and Evacuation
- Bangalore: Prof Ravivarma Kumar New Advocate General of State
- Udupi: Pejawar Swamiji Inaugurates Mukha Mantapa of Kaniyoor Math
- Mangalore: ASI Srikala Complains to Women's Commission - DCP to Hold Probe
- Phaneesh Murthy asked 'pregnant' employee to seek abortion, leave iGate: law firm
- UAE: Indian flight attendant jailed in Dubai
- MP Nalin Kumar Kateel Condemns Government Decision to Control Maths and Temples
- Bangalore: Ministers in-charge - Rai for DK, Sorake for Udupi, Abhaya for C'magalur, Khader for Kodagu
- New Delhi: 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- Michigan: ICA celebrates the Amazing Women
- Udupi: Time-table of Mumbai Trains - Courtesy Railway Yatri Sangha (R)
- Kuwait: FOCC organizes DNV CRYcket 2013
- Mangalore: 'Bindaas Khavo' ? - Not Anymore! Vegetables Prices So Steep, You'll Freak!
- Bangalore: Realtor arrested for lover's murder
- Mangalore: MLA J R Lobo Visits Dock to Take Stock of Pending Development Work
- Mangalore: Physiotherapy Outgoing Graduates and Post Graduates get Rousing Farewell
- Mangalore: Madhusudan D Kushe (78) of PVS Group No More
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat - Album
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat
- Kuwait: Billava Sangha Bids Farewell to Honorary Advisor A K Ravindra
- Ajman: Thumbay Group featured in 'Top 100 making an impact in the Arab World', by Forbes Magazine
- Mangalore: 'Rhythm' rocks Father Muller stadium