New Member: adelaide dsouza, India
| Join Now! |
Bangalore: CM-to-be Jagadish Shettar Already in Denotification Row!
Team Mangalorean - Bangalore
from Shweta Somaya
Coordinated by Richard Lasrado
Bangalore: The seat of the Karnataka chief minister and denotification rows seem to have an eternal and inseparable link. Most past chief ministers during the past decade or longer - Krishna, Dharam Singh, Kumaraswamy and Yeddyurappa - have all invariably faced charges of land denotification.
The latest one to adorn the seat, Jagadish Shettar, is yet to be sworn in. But he is already in the eye of a controversy. Talakadu Chikkarangegowda, convener of the Karnataka Jana Jagruti Vedike, has accused the then-chief minister H D Kumaraswamy and then minister Shettar of irregular land dealings during the BJP-JD(S) coalition regime beginning 2006.
Shettar is facing the charge of having denotified the land acquired in 2004 by the government for building an agricultural produce marketing yard in Dasanapura in Bangalore north taluk. Chikkarangegowda has alleged that the land was sold to private parties thereafter.
Speaking to Mangalorean.com correspondent from Bangalore, Chikkarangegowda also said that he would soon approach the Lokayukta with the details. Asked about the timing of making the disclosures at this crucial stage when Shettar was to be sworn in and possibility of any motives behind the move, he denied that there was any mala fide intention or conspiracy. It was only that the necessary evidence had not reached his hands until now, and hence it was not possible to place them before the media earlier, he insisted.
Providing the details, Chikkarangegowda said that the coalition government came to power on February 6, 2006. Within a month, on March 4, 2006, Shettar, who was the minister of revenue, got 188 acres of land in Dasanapura denotified. The denotification of that land needed a cabinet approval, but this requirement was given a go-by, said he.
Now about five and six developers have fully developed the land. He further said that if at all the land was reverted to the original owners, it was a different matter. But this whole deal amounted to gross irregularity, he also said.
He is an MA in History. Currently he is doing a research on Tipu Sultan, the Tiger of Mysore, and his rule. As one of the thrusts in his dissertation for Ph D, he wants to dispel the myth that Tipu was anti-Hindu. He says if at all Tipu was anti-Hindu, the Sringeri temple would not have existed today.
In 1791, the Maratha forces led by Parsuram Bahu had attacked and looted the valuables from the Sringeri temple. It was Tipu who had given protection to Sachidananda Swamiji II. The idol of the deity now being venerated was installed with the help of Tipu's grants, while the original had been taken away by the Maratha marauders, he said.
He says he does not have any political leanings, but is only active in the Tipu Sultan Prachar Samiti and heads the Karnataka Jana Jagruti Vedike, which has been formed for popular struggles and campaigns.
- Mangalore: Once Deranged Man from UP, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- 7.08 Malpe
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: Puttur Girl Wins Gold at I-SWEEP Olympiad, USA
- Mango by Alfi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Visits Thumbe Vented Dam Project
- Mangalore: Bajrang Dal Demands New State Government to Ban Illegal Abattoirs
- Kolkata: Student of Class 3 dies after teacher allegedly hits his head against the wall
- Mangalore: TRF Awarding Achievers from All Faiths During ' Talent Milad Award 2013'
- Bangalore: 29 ministers to be sworn in tomorrow, tainted to be kept out
- Saudi Arabia: 'Together We Go Further' - SKY Holds Picnic 2013
- Mangalore: Are You Ready For Some Football?State Level Inter-District Football Tourney
- Manipal: Journalist U B Rajalakshmi Awarded D Lit Degree by Hampi Varsity
- Lourdes Church Kanajar
- Udupi: tender coconut water
- Manipal University signs MoU with The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
- Kundapur: MLC Pratapchandra Shetty Summoned to Delhi - Ministerial Berth Likely?
- London: Savita's family to decide soon on lawsuit
- Udupi: Bada villagers Protested for Resuming Water Supply
- Udupi: 'Darpan 2013' to rock the shores of Malpe on May 18
- Mangalore: Entrepreneurs Multipurpose Co-operative Society Cheats 140 Depositors
- Mangalore: Shortage of Postal Stamps Creating Lot of Hassles in Mailing Letters
- Mangalore: 'Sleep Like a Baby'! Travel by KSRTC Volvo Bus to Pune, Mumbai and Other Cities
- Did You Know That PM Manmohan Has No Cash In Hand-Owns 1996 Maruti Car
- Kuwait: 'Kazar Zatam, Punn?' - Konkani ‘Songit Sanz’ musical staged in Salmiya
- Muscat: Oman Billawas Celebrate 3-Annual Day in Traditional Style
- Canada: Konkan Organization of Toronto To Strengthen Konkan Roots
- Bangalore: Siddu's Elevation to CM's Seat Celebrated with Mass 'Clean Shave'
- Chikmagalur: ANF Cop Injured in Exchange of Fire with Suspected Naxals
- Bangalore: 15 Kgs of Opium being Brought from Rajasthan to City Seized
- New Delhi: Cabinet will have people with 'clean image': Siddaramaiah
- New Delhi: Gold suffers second biggest fall this year; plunges by Rs 600
- Ajman: Thumbay Moideen Speaks at International Conference On Cooperation in Higher Education