Manipal: Birth of Udupi District Cricket Association, Inauguration Planned on July 22
by Michael Rodrigues,Team Mangalorean Udupi
Manipal: Udupi District Cricket Association (UDCA) will be inaugurated on 22 July 2012 at 6:00 pm by Prof. Rathnakar Shetty, Administrative officer of BCCI. And, SMH Kirmani, Director Karnataka Cricket Academy and a former test player will induct the newly formed Association Members and Executive Committee Members said, Dr. H S Ballal Honorary president of UDCA. He was speaking with media persons on Friday July 20, 2012 at Manipal University building auditorium
Dakshina Kannada comprising of Mangalore and Udupi was divided into two revenue districts on August 25, 1997. Since then all the government offices and other organizations have separated. Sports like volleyball, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, athletics too have separate associations and have contributed talented sportsmen to State and National teams. However, the Udupi District Cricket Association since beginning has been participating with Mangalore Zone for all cricket related activities. Of the three centres for cricket in the erstwhile Dakshina Kannada, two are in Udupi District -Udupi and other Kundapur. These two centres have contributed a lot to cricket in the Mangalore Zone.
Now, the district has decided to go on its own and considering the large number of cricket activities in the district like coaching camps, zonal and inter- zonal invitation matches, umpires coaching and training camps, Under -14, Under -16, Under-19, Under- 25 to name some, the UDCA feels it is time to have an independent body.
Infrastructure-wise too, the district has sufficient to carry on the activities without depending on others. Various cricket personalities for Karnataka and other states have visited and witnessed the events organized by UDCA and have appreciated the infrastructure and facilities available in Udupi.
It was therefore decided by the office bearers of the district association to seek direct affiliation with the Karnataka State Cricket Association and provide better cricketing opportunities to the youngsters of the district. As we have good infrastructure facilities like hostel and indoor net practice facilities and overall support from sponsors and also a university like Manipal University, the scope to improve the lot for cricketers is plenty. Motivated by these facilities and factors, the UDCA has been carrying out quite a bit of cricket activities.
UDCA is presently a registered body under the society act Government of Karnataka and want to activate as an official cricket body under the affiliation of Karnataka State Cricket Association Bangalore. In order to form Udupi District Cricket Association ,a meeting of cricket lovers was held on November 16, 2011 at Manipal University under the leadership of Dr. H S Ballal, Pro-Chancellor of Manipal University. Thirty-five cricket fans of Udupi District attended the discussion and gave some valuable suggestion and comments in organizing a strong and powerful cricket association at Udupi District.
Dr. K Krishna Prasad was unanimously nominated to take the lead and form a team of workers to promote cricket in the district. Some cricketers who were already involved in cricketing activities joined hands to draft bylaws and study the feasibility of Udupi separating from the Mangalore zone. That is how Udupi District Cricket Association was formed, he said
President of UDCA Dr. Krishna Prasad, Secretary Prabhakar Shetty , Kemapraj, Vinod Nayak and others were present in the press meet
Udupi District Cricket Association
The newly formed Association Members and Executive Committee Members are:
Dr. H S Ballal - Honorary President
Dr. Krishna Prasad - President
Prabhakar Shetty - Secretary
Dr Kemparaj for pre-Olympic Congress
Manipal: Dr Kemparaj H.B. Director Department of Physical Education, MIT, Manipal University will present a paper titled, “Promoting Holistic Health Through Effective Sports Management” at the 2012 Pre-Olympic Congress on Sports Science and Computer Science in sports to be held at ACC Liverpool, UK on July 24 and 25, 2012.
Dr Kemparaj will be present to watch the opening ceremony and some of the events during the Olympics during his week-long stay.
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Discusses Development Plans of DK with Veerappa Moily
- Pros and Cons of 'Energy Drinks'- But Should They Be Banned?
- Alfie MNG
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: Puttur Girl Wins Gold at I-SWEEP Olympiad, USA
- Mango by Alfi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Visits Thumbe Vented Dam Project
- Mangalore: Bajrang Dal Demands New State Government to Ban Illegal Abattoirs
- Kolkata: Student of Class 3 dies after teacher allegedly hits his head against the wall
- Mangalore: TRF Awarding Achievers from All Faiths During ' Talent Milad Award 2013'
- Bangalore: 29 ministers to be sworn in tomorrow, tainted to be kept out
- Saudi Arabia: 'Together We Go Further' - SKY Holds Picnic 2013
- Mangalore: Are You Ready For Some Football?State Level Inter-District Football Tourney
- Manipal: Journalist U B Rajalakshmi Awarded D Lit Degree by Hampi Varsity
- Lourdes Church Kanajar
- Udupi: tender coconut water
- Manipal University signs MoU with The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
- Kundapur: MLC Pratapchandra Shetty Summoned to Delhi - Ministerial Berth Likely?
- London: Savita's family to decide soon on lawsuit
- Udupi: Bada villagers Protested for Resuming Water Supply
- Udupi: 'Darpan 2013' to rock the shores of Malpe on May 18
- Mangalore: Entrepreneurs Multipurpose Co-operative Society Cheats 140 Depositors
- Mangalore: Shortage of Postal Stamps Creating Lot of Hassles in Mailing Letters
- Mangalore: 'Sleep Like a Baby'! Travel by KSRTC Volvo Bus to Pune, Mumbai and Other Cities
- Did You Know That PM Manmohan Has No Cash In Hand-Owns 1996 Maruti Car
- Kuwait: 'Kazar Zatam, Punn?' - Konkani ‘Songit Sanz’ musical staged in Salmiya
- Muscat: Oman Billawas Celebrate 3-Annual Day in Traditional Style
- Canada: Konkan Organization of Toronto To Strengthen Konkan Roots
- Bangalore: Siddu's Elevation to CM's Seat Celebrated with Mass 'Clean Shave'
- Chikmagalur: ANF Cop Injured in Exchange of Fire with Suspected Naxals