Mangalore : DKWJU Demands Withdrawal of FIR on Journalists
By Violet Pereira, Team Mangalorean
Mangalore : A memorandum has been submitted by the Dakshina Kannada Working Journalists Union to withdraw the FIR, on two Journalists, who were present and video-graphing the assault scenes at the Morning Mist Home Stay resort on July 28, to the Police Commissioner at his office, here on July 30.
After receiving the memorandum the Police Commissioner Seemant Kumar Singh said, I never said "Media is responsible for moral policing", but if the media representatives were present on the spot they could have informed us, the incident would have been prevented and the need to record it, would not have been necessary. He said even one constable on the spot would have prevented the incident from happening. First and foremost I don't hold media responsible in moral policing and I am the last person to do so. When the incident happened, before they started recording the attack, why didn't they informed us? Whatever the activists did is different but the footage was only showing the victims faces every now and then. He stated that, the police department is not against the media.
There are more than 65 different media in Mangalore, why all of them were not present at that time, why persons from only two channels were present there? he questioned. He further urged the media to cooperate with the police in preventing any untoward incidents from taking place, kindly inform the police immediately by dialing 100. If our staff will not respond we will look into it. Yes, journalists do their duty, and coverage is their priority, so do the police. Besides that we have a common and bigger responsibility towards the society. Journalist must also think in humanitarian level too. "If the media will not accept this fact, then I am sorry", said Singh.
Rejecting the allegation of "Fixing", he said there is a allegation that Commissioner will fix some people from the media in this case, these allegations are false. If anyone after thorough investigation is found involved in this act, they will be punished legally and no one will be fixed. I am the last person to fix anyone, he said.
We came to know through the media that the police were informed before the camera men reached the spot and the police reached late. In case the police had been informed and they have not responded to the call we will take action against them too. He also suggested to the President of DKWJU Harish Rai to form a committee including journalists and the police and discuss this issue. He also asked the media to come forward with any information in this case.
He also said that the cameramen profession is to shoot the complete incident, instead the videographers were focusing their cameras on the faces of innocent girls and telecasting it, over and over again. That is not right, the students were just celebrating the birthday of their friend. What have they done to anyone ? he questioned.
While concluding he said, "We work for the betterment of the society and safety of the people is our main concern". If no mistake is committed from the media persons then the case will be dismissed. We are investigating the case and the facts will come out soon ".
Related News :
Mangalore: Homestay Attack - 4 More Culprits Arrested Taking Total to 12
Mangalore : Handover Culprits to Us - We'll Teach Them
Mangalore: 'Got to Know What Merciless Goons are Like', Says Attack Victim
Mangalore: HJV Washing Hands Off on Resort Attack
Mangalore: BJP government has been an utter failure - Janardhan Poojary
Mangalore: Resort Attack - ADGP Says Eight Arrested, More to be Nabbed
Mangalore: Trouble Brewing - Section No. 144Promulgated in City
Mangalore: Anger against Rampage at Resort Snowballs - Protests Planned
Mangalore: Immoral Policing - HJV Activists Raid Resort, Assault Party-goers
- Udupi: Tourist ferrying boat overturns at Malpe - Two year old child Missing
- Mangalore: JCI-Dinky hold 20th Annual Ice-Cream Eating Competitions
- Bangalore: Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments
- Ajman: GMC Hospital Hosts Grand Doctors Meet 2013 - Felicitates Achievers
- Mangalore: Red Cross Opens Blood Bank in Lady Goschen
- Kundapur: Installation Ceremony of Pragati Bandhu SHG Kota Office Bearers
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Discusses Development Plans of DK with Veerappa Moily
- Pros and Cons of 'Energy Drinks'- But Should They Be Banned?
- Alfie MNG
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: Puttur Girl Wins Gold at I-SWEEP Olympiad, USA
- Mango by Alfi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Visits Thumbe Vented Dam Project
- Mangalore: Bajrang Dal Demands New State Government to Ban Illegal Abattoirs
- Kolkata: Student of Class 3 dies after teacher allegedly hits his head against the wall
- Mangalore: TRF Awarding Achievers from All Faiths During ' Talent Milad Award 2013'
- Bangalore: 29 ministers to be sworn in tomorrow, tainted to be kept out
- Saudi Arabia: 'Together We Go Further' - SKY Holds Picnic 2013
- Mangalore: Are You Ready For Some Football?State Level Inter-District Football Tourney
- Manipal: Journalist U B Rajalakshmi Awarded D Lit Degree by Hampi Varsity
- Lourdes Church Kanajar
- Udupi: tender coconut water
- Manipal University signs MoU with The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
- Kundapur: MLC Pratapchandra Shetty Summoned to Delhi - Ministerial Berth Likely?
- London: Savita's family to decide soon on lawsuit
- Udupi: Bada villagers Protested for Resuming Water Supply
- Udupi: 'Darpan 2013' to rock the shores of Malpe on May 18
- Mangalore: Entrepreneurs Multipurpose Co-operative Society Cheats 140 Depositors
- Mangalore: Shortage of Postal Stamps Creating Lot of Hassles in Mailing Letters