Bangalore: Southern power grid safe from tripping
Bangalore, Aug 2 (IANS) Unlike India's northern, eastern and northeastern power grids which collapsed this week, the state-run Karnataka Power Corp Ltd (KPCL) Thursday said the southern power grid was safe from tripping.
"As a precaution, we have conducted a reality check on our state and southern grids to prevent a repeat of the tripping the other grids faced. We have also reviewed the procedures and systems to ensure the grids operate normally," a KPCL official told IANS.
Karnataka Energy Minister Shobha Karandlaje met the KPCL, power utilities and the state electricity regulatory commission to review the power situation in the state and the demand-supply equation due to poor monsoon affecting hydel power generation.
"Stakeholders of the southern grid are strictly adhering to the procedures and drawing only that much of power entitled to each state to ensure it (grid) remains healthy at 50Mhz frequency," the official said.
A special protection system has been installed in the southern grid to prevent the frequency from dropping below 50 Mhz.
In the event of the frequency slipping, the protective system automatically blocks overdrawing and prevents the grid from collapsing.
When the eastern grid collapsed Tuesday, the southern grid lost about 1,500 megawatts (mw) due to the Kolar-Talcher line from southern Karnataka to Orissa tripping.
"Grid discipline by the fourth states has allowed us to maintain power supply despite the shortage of 1,500 mw," the official added.
- Mysore: Yeddyurappa Briefly Goes 'out of Reach' - Gives Jitters to Security Team
- Mangalore: Distressed over Hospitalized Father's Illness, Doting Daughter Ends Life at Home
- Udupi: Boat overturns at Malpe - Two year old child Missing
- Mangalore: JCI-Dinky hold 20th Annual Ice-Cream Eating Competitions
- Bangalore: Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments
- Ajman: GMC Hospital Hosts Grand Doctors Meet 2013 - Felicitates Achievers
- Mangalore: Red Cross Opens Blood Bank in Lady Goschen
- Kundapur: Installation Ceremony of Pragati Bandhu SHG Kota Office Bearers
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Discusses Development Plans of DK with Veerappa Moily
- Pros and Cons of 'Energy Drinks'- But Should They Be Banned?
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: Puttur Girl Wins Gold at I-SWEEP Olympiad, USA
- Mango by Alfi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Visits Thumbe Vented Dam Project
- Mangalore: Bajrang Dal Demands New State Government to Ban Illegal Abattoirs
- Kolkata: Student of Class 3 dies after teacher allegedly hits his head against the wall
- Mangalore: TRF Awarding Achievers from All Faiths During ' Talent Milad Award 2013'
- Bangalore: 29 ministers to be sworn in tomorrow, tainted to be kept out
- Saudi Arabia: 'Together We Go Further' - SKY Holds Picnic 2013
- Mangalore: Are You Ready For Some Football?State Level Inter-District Football Tourney
- Manipal: Journalist U B Rajalakshmi Awarded D Lit Degree by Hampi Varsity
- Udupi: tender coconut water
- Manipal University signs MoU with The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
- Kundapur: MLC Pratapchandra Shetty Summoned to Delhi - Ministerial Berth Likely?
- London: Savita's family to decide soon on lawsuit
- Udupi: Bada villagers Protested for Resuming Water Supply
- Udupi: 'Darpan 2013' to rock the shores of Malpe on May 18
- Mangalore: Entrepreneurs Multipurpose Co-operative Society Cheats 140 Depositors
- Mangalore: Shortage of Postal Stamps Creating Lot of Hassles in Mailing Letters