Mangalore: Wear 'Bangles' and Sport 'Bindi' On Campus, V V S Implements Rule
Mangalore: Here is yet another story coming once again from a educational institution implementing certain rules on staff and students. We have seen and heard earlier about few educational institutions who had imposed ban on wearing burqa and Hijab (Head Scarf) in classroom, and the fight on that issue is still going on.Even before the furore created by a ban on burqa and hijab in classrooms could die down, an educational institution in Dakshina Kannada district has stirred a hornet's nest by mandating women - students, teachers and staff - to wear bangles and sport bindi on campus.
It is learned now that the administrative board of Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha (VVS), Puttur, which runs several institutions, has implemented a new rule making it mandatory for its women students, women teachers and staff to wear bangles and sport ' bindi ' on campus. The VVS board has circulated a notice directing the heads of its institutions to ensure the decision is enforced strictly. Added to this, the May 25 notice mandates that uniform should be compulsory, and women must wear bangles and tilak on the premises. Apart from that, the administrative board has directed the institution heads to implement the diktat from the next academic year.
According to report from VVS management states that the rules have been introduced to ensure discipline on the campuses. Rules regarding uniform are compulsory in all VVS institutions. Wearing bangles and tilak is not a compulsory rule. Girls and women staffers from other religions may take their own decision. Action against such women who do not wear bangles and tilak will not be taken
According to sources,the decision of Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha has drawn flak. Federation of Rationalists Associations of India president Narendra Nayak has said nobody can impose religious symbolism on another. "If this is allowed, then tomorrow Christian and Muslim institutions' managements will introduce their rules," he added.
Shameera Jahan, deputy coordinator of the women's wing of Jamaate-Islami Hind, called the VVK directive an attack on religious freedom. "They cannot make wearing bangles and tilak compulsory in institutes where students belong to different religions study. There are many institutions run by Muslim managements in the district where burqa is uniform. They allow students of other religions to wear the dress of their choice." Writer and progressive thinker Sara Aboobaker said imposing religious practices on others will amount to violation of the Constitution. "If the institute makes the rule mandatory, it's condemnable."
But as of now, VVS management is not backing down on their decision on this new rule. Until then,we all will have to wait and see what will be the outcome of this rule implemented by VVS Institutions on their students and staff.
- Udupi: Tourist ferrying boat overturns at Malpe - Two year old child Missing
- Mangalore: JCI-Dinky hold 20th Annual Ice-Cream Eating Competitions
- Bangalore: Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments
- Ajman: GMC Hospital Hosts Grand Doctors Meet 2013 - Felicitates Achievers
- Mangalore: Red Cross Opens Blood Bank in Lady Goschen
- Kundapur: Installation Ceremony of Pragati Bandhu SHG Kota Office Bearers
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Discusses Development Plans of DK with Veerappa Moily
- Pros and Cons of 'Energy Drinks'- But Should They Be Banned?
- Alfie MNG
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: Puttur Girl Wins Gold at I-SWEEP Olympiad, USA
- Mango by Alfi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Visits Thumbe Vented Dam Project
- Mangalore: Bajrang Dal Demands New State Government to Ban Illegal Abattoirs
- Kolkata: Student of Class 3 dies after teacher allegedly hits his head against the wall
- Mangalore: TRF Awarding Achievers from All Faiths During ' Talent Milad Award 2013'
- Bangalore: 29 ministers to be sworn in tomorrow, tainted to be kept out
- Saudi Arabia: 'Together We Go Further' - SKY Holds Picnic 2013
- Mangalore: Are You Ready For Some Football?State Level Inter-District Football Tourney
- Manipal: Journalist U B Rajalakshmi Awarded D Lit Degree by Hampi Varsity
- Lourdes Church Kanajar
- Udupi: tender coconut water
- Manipal University signs MoU with The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
- Kundapur: MLC Pratapchandra Shetty Summoned to Delhi - Ministerial Berth Likely?
- London: Savita's family to decide soon on lawsuit
- Udupi: Bada villagers Protested for Resuming Water Supply
- Udupi: 'Darpan 2013' to rock the shores of Malpe on May 18
- Mangalore: Entrepreneurs Multipurpose Co-operative Society Cheats 140 Depositors
- Mangalore: Shortage of Postal Stamps Creating Lot of Hassles in Mailing Letters