Mangalore: We Are the Descendants of Rani Abbakka - Prasanna Ravi Reacts on Homestay
By Violet Pereira, Team Mangalorean
Mangalore: Jagratha Hindu Mahila Vedike (JHMV) staged a protest demanding to put an end to the drug and sex mafia in the city, in front of the DC office, here on August 8.
The procession started from Taluk office premises and culminated near DC office. Addressing the protesters, District convener of Jagarana Hindu Mahila Vedike Prasanna Ravi, said that we will not allow anyone to defame our culture. We are not the descendants of the queen of London, but we are the descendants of Rani Abbakka. Recalling the recent ' Home Stay' incident, she said, "In the name of birthday party, prostitution was going on there, and when people who were trying to stop it were arrested by the police.
Further she said, a senior police officer had sent his daughter to celebrate her birthday in that ' Home Stay', if this is the case what will happen to our culture. Let him send his daughter to study in European countries and not in Mangalore. The rich and the influential people have taken control over the city. Some students who had gone to that ' Home Stay' party did not know where they were going, only to find later that it was a ' Home Stay' premises.. They were invited to attend the birthday party and the party dress was provided to them by the birthday girl.
Some colleges have protested the attack by supporting the students who were celebrating the birthday party. The opposition party member's son tried to send a College girl in the city to Mumbai for prostitution, why the college did not protest? Where were the students and the management at that time? she questioned. She also said in recent TV interview one of the prominent lady said, "Saree is the sexiest dress". She further stated that, a person with bad intention will not see what dress a girl is wearing. In the name of tourism the sex mafia is thriving in the city, she blamed.
She also stated that in Madekeri, the police have identified 2500 home-stay places and ordered all the illegal home -stay businesses to close. We need to bring a change in Mangalore. Vivekananda Vidhyavardahaka Sangha,(VVS) Puttur which runs several institutions has implemented a new rule making it mandatory for its girl students, teachers and staff to wear bangles and spot bindi on the campus, which is a good sign of retaining culture, she said. She urged the authorities to investigate the present home -stay attack and take stern action against the culprits whoever they are and save the innocent girls who are the target for drug and sex mafia.
SDM law college student Akshatha speaking on the occasion said, "Birthday means, celebration of a family member or members birthday which comes once in a year". If any person celebrating birthday, he should celebrate it with his/her parents, instead going to home-stay with friends and celebrating is not called birthday celebration. Why it was not celebrated with the family members or parents, why the students want to celebrate their birthday with friends at a home-stay? she questioned.
Recalling the Newton's law, every action has a equal and opposite reaction, she said, "This is our reaction, you are the reason for us to react"? she stated. If we will not oppose such parties , crime will not stop in the city, she opined.
District Convener, Vishwa Hindu Parishath, Durgavahini, Vijayshree, and Dharmika Parishath member Asha Prasad were on the dais. Deputy Mayor Amitakala, former mayor Rajani Dugganna, Shakila Kava, Surekha Srinivas and many vedike members were also present.
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: Puttur Girl Wins Gold at I-SWEEP Olympiad, USA
- Mango by Alfi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Visits Thumbe Vented Dam Project
- Mangalore: Bajrang Dal Demands New State Government to Ban Illegal Abattoirs
- Kolkata: Student of Class 3 dies after teacher allegedly hits his head against the wall
- Mangalore: TRF Awarding Achievers from All Faiths During ' Talent Milad Award 2013'
- Bangalore: 29 ministers to be sworn in tomorrow, tainted to be kept out
- Saudi Arabia: 'Together We Go Further' - SKY Holds Picnic 2013
- Mangalore: Are You Ready For Some Football?State Level Inter-District Football Tourney
- Manipal: Journalist U B Rajalakshmi Awarded D Lit Degree by Hampi Varsity
- Lourdes Church Kanajar
- Udupi: tender coconut water
- Manipal University signs MoU with The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
- Kundapur: MLC Pratapchandra Shetty Summoned to Delhi - Ministerial Berth Likely?
- London: Savita's family to decide soon on lawsuit
- Udupi: Bada villagers Protested for Resuming Water Supply
- Udupi: 'Darpan 2013' to rock the shores of Malpe on May 18
- Mangalore: Entrepreneurs Multipurpose Co-operative Society Cheats 140 Depositors
- Mangalore: Shortage of Postal Stamps Creating Lot of Hassles in Mailing Letters
- Mangalore: 'Sleep Like a Baby'! Travel by KSRTC Volvo Bus to Pune, Mumbai and Other Cities
- Did You Know That PM Manmohan Has No Cash In Hand-Owns 1996 Maruti Car
- Kuwait: 'Kazar Zatam, Punn?' - Konkani ‘Songit Sanz’ musical staged in Salmiya
- Muscat: Oman Billawas Celebrate 3-Annual Day in Traditional Style
- Canada: Konkan Organization of Toronto To Strengthen Konkan Roots
- Bangalore: Siddu's Elevation to CM's Seat Celebrated with Mass 'Clean Shave'
- Chikmagalur: ANF Cop Injured in Exchange of Fire with Suspected Naxals
- Bangalore: 15 Kgs of Opium being Brought from Rajasthan to City Seized
- New Delhi: Cabinet will have people with 'clean image': Siddaramaiah
- New Delhi: Gold suffers second biggest fall this year; plunges by Rs 600