New Member: JENNIFER NAZARETH, India
| Join Now! |
Mangalore: City Drenched With Heavy August Monsoon, Flash Floods In DK
By Alfie D'Souza, Team Mangalorean
Mangalore: It has been raining incessantly for the last two days, and the weather man predicts more rain through the rest of the week. Mangalore City got lashed by heavy downpour, causing traffic snarls and electricity shut offs. I guess the much awaited rain that people have been asking and praying for has finally arrived to satisfy everyone, including the farmers who needed the rains very badly. City wore a monsoon look, with commuters wandering around in raincoats, gum boots and other monsoon outwear. Umbrellas also played a important role in this kind of weather. Children were seen playing in the rain water at schools, and in their home front yard. The rains also created inconvenience for all those pizza and fast food delivery personals. In the busy Hampankatta area rainwater was seen gushing out of drainage, and also flowing above small culverts.
There have been reports of flash floods in many places in the City, and also in many regions of Dakshina Kannada. City drainage's were over flowing with muddy waters thereby creating a havoc for vehicle movement. Compound walls collapsing have been reported in a few residential areas. Trees have been uprooted, and also tree branches have fallen due to heavy rains. Nanthoor Junction and the highway road leading to Kankanady Pumpwell Circle is simply a mess and in horrible condition, with rain water filled in all the small and large potholes-seems like City has some 'mini-swimming pools' on the streets? Commuting around these areas is just too hectic, too much hassles, because in some spots there is water up to knee level, and in some areas people have to walk in that slushy mud waters. Does the City even bother to look into all these dilapidated road conditions which are putting commuters in hardships during monsoons, I don't think so. Why would they, the corporators move around in vehicles, so they don't even care about how the common citizens move around in such harsh road conditions.
Mangalore received the highest rainfall of 64.3mm, Bajpe airport (59.1), Bantwal (61.2), Puttur (52). It has been reported that the water level in Nethravathi river has been rising fast, the water level showed 8.1mts on Wednesday, being the danger level at 8.5mts. And with continuous rains chances are, there will be heavy flooding resulting from the Nethravathi river overflow, and the residents who live around that area life will not be a normal one. Many of them are living in the fear of flash floods. Sad to note that the officials are not attending to the problems faced by those living on Nethravathi river banks. Rain water has already entered into many houses in that area. According to sources about ten houses have been damaged in Bantwal, Sullia and Puttur taluks due to heavy thunderstorms. In some areas people have been wading through waist-high water to reach to safety location as early as 4am today. It is learned that even after repeated requests from the residents, officials and politicians have been still neglecting those living in low-cost houses. Why would they, elections are not around the corner, yet?
Weeks back, there were special poojas in temples, prayers in Churches and Mosques asking God to grant some rain, and the God was so nice that he showered us all with heavy and unbearable rains. I think now its time that we need to pray again, asking God to give a slight break to the rain showers, if not we will be looking forward to some flash flooding, home damages, loss of power, accidents and what not? And as per the weather man, we are looking at more rain, and even heavy rain through the week. Friday August 10, mostly cloudy with showers; Saturday August 11, heavy rains; and Sunday August 12, cloudy with showers. Seems like its going to be a wet weekend, so plan all your fun things and activities indoors or in the comfort of your own room. Bet the pizza, and fast food delivery boys will be busy this weekend !!
- UAE: Indian flight attendant jailed in Dubai
- Michigan: ICA celebrates the Amazing Women
- Udupi: Time-table of Mumbai Trains - Courtesy Railway Yatri Sangha (R)
- Kuwait: FOCC organizes DNV CRYcket 2013
- Mangalore: 'Bindaas Khavo' ? - Not Anymore! Vegetables Prices So Steep, You'll Freak!
- Mangalore: MLA J R Lobo Visits Dock to Take Stock of Pending Development Work
- Mangalore: Physiotherapy Outgoing Graduates and Post Graduates get Rousing Farewell
- Mangalore: Madhusudan D Kushe (78) of PVS Group No More
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat - Album
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat
- Kuwait: Billava Sangha Bids Farewell to Honorary Advisor A K Ravindra
- Ajman: Thumbay Group featured in 'Top 100 making an impact in the Arab World', by Forbes Magazine
- Mangalore: 'Rhythm' rocks Father Muller stadium
- Bangalore: Facebook Fallout - Lover in a Hurry to Marry Assaults Woman with Axe
- Puttur: MLA Shakuntala Shetty Cautions Officials against Taking Her for Granted
- Mangalore: Minister Rai Outlines Plans for Supply of Drinking Water, Preserving Nature
- Realty Buildcon Expo AD
- Udupi: A Dream Come True-Villagers Rejoice Over the Newly Constructed Bavalikudru Bridge
- Mangalore Realty Buildcon Expo '13 to Cater Complete Real Estate Needs of a Customer
- Vatican City: Pope Francis did not intend to perform any exorcism: Vatican
- Mangalore: Talent Research Foundation Confers 'Talent Milad Awards-2013'
- Mangalore: Minister Ramanath Rai has a Recurring Bond with Khakhi!
- Mangalore: City Cops' Crackdown on Speeding Motorists and Clampdown on Illegal Parking
- Mumbai: Spot-fixing taint reaches Bollywood, Vindoo arrested
- Mangalore: 'Victory is not Mine, It's yours, I am Just a Face of Your Victory' - MLA J R Lobo - Album
- Udupi: Shetty Couple killed in Bus Accident at Kaup
- Mangalore: Former International Sprinter Anand Shetty Passes Away at Age 52
- Mangalore: 'Victory is not Mine, It's yours, I am Just a Face of Your Victory' - MLA J R Lobo
- Udupi: Car and Truck collision, Three Dead on Spot Near Padubidri
- 5.45 circuit house ramantha rai
- 5.25 congress ramanath rai
- Mangalore: Bishop Dr Aloysius D'Souza Felicitates MLA J R Lobo
- Bangalore: D V Sadananda Gowda Quits BJP National Vice President's Post
- Mangalore: Congress is my religion, I have dedicated my life to Congress' - Ramanath Rai
- Puttur: Pillion-rider Dies on Spot after Tipper Knocks down Bike - Rider Critical
- Mangalore: Woman Loses Chain Worth Rs 70,000 to Snatcher while on Late-evening Walk
- 7.47 Iíll strive hard - Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake
- Udupi: ĎIíll strive hard for the welfare of the people of the districtí - Minister Vinay K Sorake
- Mangalore: B S Nagappa (81), Father of ZP CEO Vijayaprakash, Passes away
- Dubai: Indian university lecturer arrested in UAE
- Washington: Indian girl invents device that can charge phone in 20 seconds
- Dubai: Saudis not accepting newly-designed Indian passport
- Udupi: Urban Development Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake gets rousing welcome in Kaup
- Mangalore: IG South Sector Jayanth Murali Flags off Exclusive Special Coach for CAPF
- Mangalore: Sadananda Shetty Inaugurates State Level Inter-District Football Tournament
- Udupi: 24 Couples Tie Knot During Mass Marriage at Ambalpadi
- Mangalore: Garbage Collectors Or Garbage Sorters? Does MCC Care About Safety of Labourers
- Mangalore: Man From Bagalkot Found Hanging From a Tree Near Kadri Jogi Math
- Mysore: Yeddyurappa Briefly Goes 'out of Reach' - Gives Jitters to Security Team