New Member: Anusha D’souza, India
| Join Now! |
Mangalore: Vijayanath Shetty and Advocate Ulipady Arrested while Protesting with Homestay Victims
By Violet Pereira, Team Mangalorean
Jaago Mangalore Association “Protest campaign will continue” Vijaynath Shetty
Police avert campaign road show and arrest six protestors on Day One.
Mangalore: The Inaugural Road Show initiating the Protest campaign against Padil Attack organized by Jaago Mangalore Association in cooperation with various voluntary bodies was averted by the police ending with the arrest of six protestors including Vijaynath Shetty, Chief Co-ordinator, Jaago Mangalore Association.
A group of protestors led by Shetty had assembled outside DC Office this evening at 5:30 p.m. to commence on the maiden road show to build the campaign leading to the final Protest March and Protest Meet on 21st August. A police team led by an Inspector from Pandeshwar Police Station intervened and told the waiting protestors to cancel the protest as the required advance intimation was not given to the police.
When the protesters refused oblige them, the police arrested six protestors and took them to Pandeshwar Police Station. Those arrested were:
Vijaynath Shetty, Chief Co-ordinator, Jaago Mangalore Association
Dinesh Hegde Ulepady, Eminent Advocate and Activist
George, Karnataka Rakshana Vedike
Rajesh Kundar, Karnataka Rakshana Vedike
Vijay Kumar (Padil Attack victim)
Gurudath Kamath (Padil Attack victim)
Later at 7:30 p.m., they were issued a notice and released.
Jaago Mangalore Association hereby clarifies that it had given due intimation in a letter addressed to the police commissioner and an acknowledged copy of the same is attached with this press note.
“We have so far not received any written communication either from the police or from any other authority denying us permission to stage the protest. Hence our protest campaign will continue unhindered and as planned. We shall hold the road shows at different junctions in the city as planned every evening till 21 August 2012. I once again appeal to all the citizens to participate in the Protest March on 21 August which will commence at Jyothi Circle at 4 p.m. and conclude with protest meet at Nehru Maidan at 5 p.m,” said Vijaynath Shetty.
He further added, “Atrocities like Padil Attack can happen only because good people keep quiet. The silence of the majority of peace loving citizens has encouraged the anti social elements and the vested interests who are backing them to hold the city to ransom. If we are to defeat such forces, we should refuse to be bogged down and put up a united stand.”
Issued by Vijaynath Shetty, Mobile: 09821015336
By Violet Pereira, Team Mangalorean
Mangalore: Jaago Mangalore, in association with ‘Arise Mangalore’ and various voluntary bodies, is organizing a mass campaign against the attack on college students at a homestay in Padil on July 28.
The campaign commenced on Thursday, August 16 but the police interviened and arrested the protesters. The reason given for the arrest was that no permission had been obtained for the protest in front of the DC office.
Vijayanath Shetty, chief co-ordinator of Jaago Mangalore Association, eminent advocate Dinesh Hegde Ulipady, JMA secretary George and victims of the homestay attack Vijayakumar and Gurudath Kamath were among those arrested.
The protesters gathered at 5.30 pm, at the DC Office to light the candles and to project the video clippings of messages by eminent people on LCD screens, but the police did not allow them to stand in front of the DC office. A police officer said to one of the protesters,advocate Dinesh Ulepady not to protest because they don't have prior permission to hold a campaign. But Dinesh Ulepady said that they have already submitted the letter to the police commissioner.
Speaking to Mangalorean.com Vijayanath Shetty said, "When I met the the police officers they said not to display the Video Clippings while protesting". We have submitted the letter to the police commissioner regarding the campaign and endorsement was given. The police commissioner was out on some official work and I was in contact with him since morning and he assured me that he will get back to me in the afternoon. But he never kept his promise.
He said, "By having the endorsement in our hand, the police have arrested us for protesting. I am not upset or against anyone, this is the victory against our fight for justice and a preparation for the protest march on 21 August.
Vijayakumar further said that we are proud that at least we are fighting for the right cause and we have been arrested for no reason. We were standing in front of the DC office for our campaign for justice but the police did not allow us to do so. Actually we had thought of lighting the candles and many were about to join us, but unfortunately police didn't let us to go on with our plans and arrested us and took us to Pandeshwar Police station.
Savitha, a middle aged lady speaking to our correspondent said that, when eminent personalities fight against the atrocities happened in recent days and police arrest them, then how can a common man get justice ? she questioned. She further said that first the police should arrest the culprits who are still hiding under the bushes and punish all of them severely and not the one who are fighting for justice. She also said that in our time there was very good respect for women and now the so called organizations are creating problems in the name of culture. We must uproot such organizations from the society and make the city a better place to live.
- 5.45 JR Lobo Rally
- 5.45 circuit house ramantha rai
- 5.25 congress ramanath rai
- Mangalore: Bishop Dr Aloysius D'Souza Felicitates MLA J R Lobo
- Bangalore: D V Sadananda Gowda Quits BJP National Vice President's Post
- rai Ad
- Mangalore: Congress is my religion, I have dedicated my life to Congress' - Ramanath Rai
- Puttur: Pillion-rider Dies on Spot after Tipper Knocks down Bike - Rider Critical
- Mangalore: Woman Loses Chain Worth Rs 70,000 to Snatcher while on Late-evening Walk
- 7.47 I’ll strive hard - Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake
- Udupi: ‘I’ll strive hard for the welfare of the people of the district’ - Minister Vinay K Sorake
- Mangalore: B S Nagappa (81), Father of ZP CEO Vijayaprakash, Passes away
- Dubai: Indian university lecturer arrested in UAE
- Washington: Indian girl invents device that can charge phone in 20 seconds
- Dubai: Saudis not accepting newly-designed Indian passport
- Udupi: Urban Development Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake gets rousing welcome in Kaup
- Mangalore: IG South Sector Jayanth Murali Flags off Exclusive Special Coach for CAPF
- Mangalore: Sadananda Shetty Inaugurates State Level Inter-District Football Tournament
- Udupi: 24 Couples Tie Knot During Mass Marriage at Ambalpadi
- Mangalore: Garbage Collectors Or Garbage Sorters? Does MCC Care About Safety of Labourers
- Mangalore: Man From Bagalkot Found Hanging From a Tree Near Kadri Jogi Math
- Mysore: Yeddyurappa Briefly Goes 'out of Reach' - Gives Jitters to Security Team
- Mangalore: Distressed over Hospitalized Father's Illness, Doting Daughter Ends Life at Home
- Mangalore: Straying Indian Sambar Gets Stranded in Well - Shifted to Pilikula Park
- Udupi: Boat overturns at Malpe - Two year old child Missing
- Mangalore: JCI-Dinky hold 20th Annual Ice-Cream Eating Competitions
- Bangalore: Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments
- Ajman: GMC Hospital Hosts Grand Doctors Meet 2013 - Felicitates Achievers
- Mangalore: Red Cross Opens Blood Bank in Lady Goschen
- Kundapur: Installation Ceremony of Pragati Bandhu SHG Kota Office Bearers
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Discusses Development Plans of DK with Veerappa Moily
- Pros and Cons of 'Energy Drinks'- But Should They Be Banned?
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!