Mangalore: Homestay Assault Case - Two Shifted to Police Custody for Questioning
Team Mangalorean - Crime Beat
Mangalore: It has been three weeks since the infamous homestay assault took place in Padil on the outskirts of the city. Several statements have been made by the chief minister, home minister, district minister-in-charge and others regarding charging the culprits under the Goonda Act, ever since the incident.
On Saturday, August 18 the city police have obtained physical custody of two of the 22 accused arrested so far, namely Subhas Padil and Ganesh aka 'Kati' Munna, for interrogation for three days, according to well-informed sources.
They also said that preparations are on to book at least these two under the Goonda Act. What has intrigued the public is that the police have managed to arrest only 22 persons, while it was evident in the video clippings that there were more than 30 persons - or even 50, according to neighbours - who were involved.
When an assault operation of that kind took place, it was not possible for all of the assailants not to have known each other. Hence a proper interrogation could have brought out the identities of all the persons concerned.
When the police know the suitable ways and means to make those under custody to open their mouths and tell the truth, it is difficult to be convinced of their inability in identifying and arresting those other than the 22 nabbed by them.
The police may even be aware of the names of those still at large, but there could be 'high-level' pressure against their arrest, feel many members of the public, who are keen to have the ruffians punished.
In the meantime, the home department is said to have submitted an affidavit to the high court, which is hearing a PIL in the matter, that besides 22 out of the accused, two mediapersons also had been arrested. But the mediapersons have confirmed that no such action has been taken against them.
- Hyderabad: Fugitive Andhra murderer extradited to US
- Mangalore: State Forest Minister B Ramanath Rai visits Infant Jesus Shrine
- Chitradurga: Youngster from Sullia Taluk among Four Killed in Ghastly Road Mishap
- Udupi: Two boys drown in Karvalu river at Alevoor
- Mangalore: Nine-year-old Boy Electrocuted at Marnemikatta
- Mangalore: Action Will be Taken Against ACP Jagannath if Found Guilty - Kharbikar
- Udupi: Kaup will be made Town Panchayat - Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake
- Ajman: GMU hosts GMU MASE 2013 – Biggest Medical and Science Exhibition for Students
- Udupi: Mangalore Police Arrest JD(S) Leader and Film Producer Dhanraj in Fraud Case
- Mangalore: Minister U T Khader inaugurates 'Mangalore Realty Buildcon Expo-2013'
- Udupi: Minister Sorake inaugurates MLA Pramodh Madhwaraj's New Office
- Mangalore: Health and family welfare minister U T Khader Receives Grievances from Public
- Saudi Arabia: 'Nitaqat' law - 75,000 Indians set to return, numbers could go up
- Mangalore: Janardhan Poojary Inaugurates MLA J R Lobo's Office at Kadri
- Puttur: Poaching of Rare Turtles in Netravati - MLA Takes up Matter with Police Chief
- Rockford (USA): Terry D'Souza Receives Presidential Medal
- Navi Mumbai: Actress charged with attempted kidnap of girl goes absconding
- Mangalore: BJP Trained Policemen to Harass Women during 5 years Tenure- Sara Abubaker
- Dubai: Saudi company to hire 5,000 Nitaqat-hit Indians
- Mangalore: 'One-Year Working in Rural Areas Mandatory for Medical Students'-U T Khader
- Udupi: State Government should Stay Away from Temples and Maths- Janardhan Poojary
- Washington: History maker 'Sri' Srinivasan's feat hailed widely
- Mangalore: Let the Present Government be Pro People - Former CM Sadananda Gowda
- Mumbai: Wife Commits Suicide While Husband Watches on Webcam
- Bangalore: Hoax Bomb Alert at IIMB Causes Scare and Evacuation
- Bangalore: Prof Ravivarma Kumar New Advocate General of State
- Udupi: Pejawar Swamiji Inaugurates Mukha Mantapa of Kaniyoor Math
- Mangalore: ASI Srikala Complains to Women's Commission - DCP to Hold Probe
- Phaneesh Murthy asked 'pregnant' employee to seek abortion, leave iGate: law firm
- UAE: Indian flight attendant jailed in Dubai
- MP Nalin Kumar Kateel Condemns Government Decision to Control Maths and Temples
- Bangalore: Ministers in-charge - Rai for DK, Sorake for Udupi, Abhaya for C'magalur, Khader for Kodagu
- New Delhi: 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- Michigan: ICA celebrates the Amazing Women
- Udupi: Time-table of Mumbai Trains - Courtesy Railway Yatri Sangha (R)
- Kuwait: FOCC organizes DNV CRYcket 2013
- Mangalore: 'Bindaas Khavo' ? - Not Anymore! Vegetables Prices So Steep, You'll Freak!
- Bangalore: Realtor arrested for lover's murder
- Mangalore: MLA J R Lobo Visits Dock to Take Stock of Pending Development Work
- Mangalore: Physiotherapy Outgoing Graduates and Post Graduates get Rousing Farewell
- Mangalore: Madhusudan D Kushe (78) of PVS Group No More
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat - Album
- Oman: 'Raag Anuraag' Regales Music Lovers in Muscat
- Kuwait: Billava Sangha Bids Farewell to Honorary Advisor A K Ravindra
- Ajman: Thumbay Group featured in 'Top 100 making an impact in the Arab World', by Forbes Magazine
- Mangalore: 'Rhythm' rocks Father Muller stadium
- Bangalore: Facebook Fallout - Lover in a Hurry to Marry Assaults Woman with Axe
- Puttur: MLA Shakuntala Shetty Cautions Officials against Taking Her for Granted
- Mangalore: Minister Rai Outlines Plans for Supply of Drinking Water, Preserving Nature
- Realty Buildcon Expo AD