New Member: Abhilash Vasudev, India
| Join Now! |
Bangalore: India not Ready for Anti-Graft Political Outfit: Hegde
Bangalore (PTI):Former Supreme Court judge N Santosh Hegde says a political party floated purely on the anti-corruption plank will not succeed in elections at this stage as money power and diversity play a role.
Hegde, a former Karnataka Lokayukta, who has distanced himself from erstwhile Team Anna's decision to start a political party on October 2, said cultural, linguistic and religious diversity play a part in elections.
"It's not as if everybody looks at (elections) only from democratic point of view", he told PTI here. "People (sections of them) have got used to money being spent on them (in elections). It will take quite some time before we can change electoral attitude of the voters".
While anti-corruption plank is a good ground to fight elections, he is not sure whether one can taste electoral success only on that issue in the next 10-12 years.
Hegde, a key member of the Team which was disbanded by its leader and social activist Anna Hazare recently, maintained that he is opposed to the idea of floating an all India party which is not "a child's play".
"To find 543-plus candidates for Lok Sabha elections is going to be a tremendous effort..", he said. While getting candidates in all constituencies would not be a problem as some people would definitely apply because of Anna Hazare's reputation, "what sort of people will apply is the question".
And how will they canvass without necessary infrastructure? Hegde asked.
Indicating that the proposed political party of erstwhile Team Anna may not succeed, Hegde said one should learn from history, as he referred to Swatantra Party and Praja Socialist Party which did not last long.
"If you want to bring about a change, it may have to be within the system itself", Hegde said.
He argued that instead of starting a political party, the erstwhile Team Anna should have approached the issue in a "much tactical manner" -- they could have fielded candidates in 10-20 constituencies where they had substantial support and sent them to Parliament. "It will make a lot of difference".
"But then there are people who want quick results, that's a problem", Hegde said, in a apparent dig at some members of Team who are bent on floating the party.
But he stressed that in today's context, the elected representatives do not care for views of the people. "Today, which people's representative carries people's views into Parliament? Nobody does it".
On BJP leader L K Advani pitching for fixed terms and simultaneous elections to the Lok Sabha and state assemblies, Hegde said: "I agree with him because of the fact that expenses will be much less and national waste of time will be much less. On that practical point of view, I agree".
- rai Ad
- Mangalore: Congress is my religion, I have dedicated my life to Congress' - Ramanath Rai
- Puttur: Pillion-rider Dies on Spot after Tipper Knocks down Bike - Rider Critical
- Mangalore: Woman Loses Chain Worth Rs 70,000 to Snatcher while on Late-evening Walk
- 7.47 Iíll strive hard - Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake
- Udupi: ĎIíll strive hard for the welfare of the people of the districtí - Minister Vinay K Sorake
- Mangalore: B S Nagappa (81), Father of ZP CEO Vijayaprakash, Passes away
- Dubai: Indian university lecturer arrested in UAE
- Washington: Indian girl invents device that can charge phone in 20 seconds
- Dubai: Saudis not accepting newly-designed Indian passport
- Udupi: Urban Development Minister Vinay Kumar Sorake gets rousing welcome in Kaup
- Mangalore: IG South Sector Jayanth Murali Flags off Exclusive Special Coach for CAPF
- Mangalore: Sadananda Shetty Inaugurates State Level Inter-District Football Tournament
- Udupi: 24 Couples Tie Knot During Mass Marriage at Ambalpadi
- Mangalore: Garbage Collectors Or Garbage Sorters? Does MCC Care About Safety of Labourers
- Mangalore: Man From Bagalkot Found Hanging From a Tree Near Kadri Jogi Math
- Mysore: Yeddyurappa Briefly Goes 'out of Reach' - Gives Jitters to Security Team
- Mangalore: Distressed over Hospitalized Father's Illness, Doting Daughter Ends Life at Home
- Mangalore: Straying Indian Sambar Gets Stranded in Well - Shifted to Pilikula Park
- Udupi: Boat overturns at Malpe - Two year old child Missing
- Mangalore: JCI-Dinky hold 20th Annual Ice-Cream Eating Competitions
- Bangalore: Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments
- Ajman: GMC Hospital Hosts Grand Doctors Meet 2013 - Felicitates Achievers
- Mangalore: Red Cross Opens Blood Bank in Lady Goschen
- Kundapur: Installation Ceremony of Pragati Bandhu SHG Kota Office Bearers
- Mangalore: MLA-elect J R Lobo Discusses Development Plans of DK with Veerappa Moily
- Pros and Cons of 'Energy Drinks'- But Should They Be Banned?
- Bangalore: CM leaves out tainted men, 28 ministers sworn in; portfolios likely today
- Mangalore: Clean Verdict Against Communal Forces by People of Dakshina Kannada - U T Khader
- Mangalore: Man from UP, Once Deranged, Now Fully Cured, Wants to Know Way to His Home
- Moodbidri: Party Workers Celebrate Abhaya's Getting a Berth in State Cabinet
- Udupi: Thousands of audience witness Darpan 2013 on Shores of Malpe
- Puttur: Ashram's Woman Employee Alleges Assault by Secretary, Gets Hospitalized
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted (Comment)
- Mangalore: Beary Sahitya Academy confers Honorary Awards 2013-14
- Udupi: Theft in Ermal Thenka Sandhu Danthi Brahmabaidrkala Garodi
- Mangalore: DK District will witness development in Coming Days - Vinay Raj
- Mangalore: Rotary Vandana Award conferred on Kasaragod Chinna and MTC for the Blind
- Mangalore: Paul Moras, Govindaraya Shenoy and Bhavani Shanker chosen for Konkani Academy Awards
- Udupi: Sorake Sworn in as Minister - Congress Workers Hold Vijayotsava at Kaup
- Bangalore: Siddaramaiah expands ministry, leaves out 'mining-tainted' aspirants
- Mangalore: Woman Slips out of Hospital Defaulting on Cosmetic Surgery Bill, Nabbed Later
- Sullia: Officials Stall Underage Girl's Marriage, Order Families to Wait for 4 Months!
- Asia's sex imbalance is going to have huge consequences (The Funny Side)
- Mangalore: Daylight Theft of Valuables Worth Rs 2.67 Lakh from Kadri House
- Indore: Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- New Delhi: Girls outperform boys in ICSE Class X and XII exams
- Mangalore: Siddaramaiah in Hurry to Gain Publicity, Hurry will lead to Accident - P S Nayak