Spice Up Your Life with ‘Chettinad Tiffin’- at ‘Port Café’, The Taj Gateway Hotel
Mangaluru: Chettinad cuisine is famous for its use of a variety of spices used mainly in non-vegetarian food. The dishes are hot and pungent with fresh ground masala’s, and are topped with a boiled egg that is usually considered an essential part of a meal. They also use a variety of sun-dried meats and salted vegetables, reflecting the dry environment of the region. The meat is restricted to fish, prawn, crab, chicken and lamb. Tamil food is not a homogeneous cuisine – it has several layers and sub-cultures. And Chettinad is one of the most popular segments of Tamil cuisine. ‘Port Cafe’ at Hotel Taj Gateway, Old Port/Bunder Road, Mangaluru is hosting ‘Chettinad Tiffin’ focused on just the flavours of Coimbatore/Chettinad, started from 20th April 2019 and ending on 3rd May 2019, and it’s open for Dinner session ONLY (7.30 – 11 pm).
Any food lover, who is keen to relish authentic Chettinad food, need not to go any further. You can simply step into the ‘Port Cafe’ inside The Gateway Hotel, Mangaluru any evening from now until the 3 May 2019 to savor the dishes. To make the authentic home food, Gateway- Mangaluru has brought Chef Jaya Kumar from Taj Vivanta-Coimbatore to showcase the authentic Chettinad Tiffin food flair. Being a Food Lover and who always looks for creating his new fusion cuisine derived from this particular region, Jaya Kumar has a vast experience in this field, and food connoisseurs will surely love the food meticulously prepared by Jaya Kumar, radiated with the direction and execution of local Taj Gateway Hotel Executive Chef Sinu Vijayan to make sure the perfect and authentic Chettinad food is served to the guests.
Speaking to Team Mangalorean Chef Jaya Kumar, joined by Food & Beverage Manager Noor Mohammed and Sales Manager Sumanth Shetty of Gateway, Mangaluru said, ” Chettinad is a region comprising of nearly 75 villages in Sivagangai and Pudukottai districts of Tamil Nadu. Chettinad cuisine is supposed to be the most aromatic and spiciest cuisine in South India. it is well known for using so many varieties of spices which are used to make the fresh ground masala and used in the dishes. Chettinad cuisine is famous for the spicy non-vegetarian dishes made with fish, chicken, and mutton”.
“People in Chettinad, use the combination of green chilies, dried red chilies and black pepper (peppercorn) in such a way, that the dishes are so spicy but at the same time very tasty. There are also popular vegetarian Chettinad recipes like the kuzhipaniyaram, Meen Varuval, Meen Poondu Kozhambu , Kotho paratha, Millet Pongal, Podi idli and much more. The spicy flavours and a variety of veg/non-vegetarian dishes are bound to excite even the folks who don’t like hot food ” added Kumar. .
The’ Chettinad Tiffin’ at Port Cafe includes, a Welcome drink- Nannari Sherbeth; Soup- Muriga Chaaru; and starters like Cauliflower Varuval, Meen Kuchi Varuval, Aachivaruval, etc. At the Live Cooking station you can try Kambu Dosa, Kothu Paratha, Mutta Kallaki (Omelette); the salads include Green Salad, Sundal, Rasa Vada, Maanga Keetu, Konda Kadla Chundal, Kuchumbar salad, Mix sprout; the Vegetarian Main course include More Kozhumbu, Urlai Roast, Vada Curry, Broken Wheat Upma, Siru Dhania Pongal, Sambar, Melagu Rasam, Kottamalli Saadam, Steamed Rice, Kanjeevaram Idli, Curd Rice etc
If you are a meat lover, you’ll feast on Pallipalayalam Kozhi Masala, Thalappakatti Biriyani, Meen Poondu Kozhumbu, Kozhichettinadu, Thalapakattuaatubiriyani, Pulisadam, Thairsadam etc. – with accompaniments like Thairvada, appalam, vazhagam, pickle, morumolaga etc. Having a sweet tooth, mouth-watering deserts like Semiya Payasam, Halwa, Fresh mango gateaux, Ice cream, fresh cut fruits etc. The menu varies daily, in Non-Veg & Veg items. The first day of this food special attracted a good number of food lovers, including Tanmay Bhatt and his family from New Delhi- and his daughter Miss Samriddhi entertained the food lovers by performing the hit number “Desperado”, which received loud applauds.
So if you are craving for real authentic Chettinad Food, make your dinner plans to be at the ‘Port Cafe’-Hotel Taj Gateway, with food served from 7.30 pm -11.00 pm until 3 May. The friendly and courteous staff at the restaurant are looking forward to welcoming you, your family and friends for this wonderful food fiesta !!
Book your table, Contact 0824 6660 420, 9886896865, 9246490231 for advance reservations
ALSO IF YOU ARE NOT COOKING AT HOME FOR EASTER, TAJ GATEWAY HAS A LAVISH ‘EASTER BRUNCH’ WITH A WIDE ARRAY OF DELICACIES, ALONG WITH UNLIMITED ‘CHILLED ONES’? SERVING BRUNCH FROM 12 NOON- 3 PM ON SUNDAY, 21 APRIL 2019.
- A Gastronomic GSB Adventure! Hotel Taj Gateway presents 3-Days of Konkani Food Festival
- Culinary Sojourn of China’s Authentic Cuisines at Taj Gateway ‘Sichuan Food Fest’
- Experience Sat BBQ Nite and Waster Sundays Brunch at Hotel Taj Gateway
- Hey Hey Mapillai! Feast on Malabar Food at Taj Gateway ‘Moplah Food Fest’
- ‘Switch Off’ for 60 Mins as Hotel Taj Gateway marks ‘Earth Hour 2017’
- Mangaluru: Savour Thrilling Oriental Flavours at Hotel Taj Gateway ‘Pan Asian Food Fest’
- Mangaluru : Chennai Express? Experience the Culinary Feast of Chennai at TheTaj Gateway Hotel
- Mangaluru: Taste Your Way Thru the Maratha Heartland – ‘Khandesi’ Food Fest at Taj
- Mangaluru: Get Sizzled! Sizzling Sizzlers at Taj Gateway ‘Sizzler Food Fest’ are Sizzling Away
- Mangaluru: ‘Mughlai Food Fest’- Experience a Royal Feast from the Mughal Era at Taj Gateway Hotel
- ‘Nawabi Food Festival’- a Princely Legacy of Culinary Royalty at Taj Gateway
- Feast on Flavours that the Royals went to War Over! It’s Awadhi Food Fest at Taj
- Mangalore: Menu from East & West-‘Active Breakfast’ at Taj Gateway is Simply the Best
- Ramadan Kareem! If It’s Friday, It’s Iftar Dinner Time at Taj Gateway in City
- Mangalore: Viva FIFA ! It’s Football Fiesta at Hotel TajGateway and Samba Parties Elsewhere in City
- Mangalore: Aroi! The Colors and Spice of Thai Cuisine Comes Alive at Hotel TajGateway ‘ Thai Food Fest’
- Manglore: Asli Punjab da Khana
! Experience ‘Province of Punjabi Food Festival’ at Hotel Taj Gateway
- Mangalore– A new all day dining experience at The Gateway Hotel
- Mangalore: Cardamom all Spiced up in New Avatar at Gateway