Sullia: Usha, wife of Balakrishna Naik residing in Beeramangala here, used a unique way to save herself when her clothes accidentally caught fire.
She had gone to work in another house near hers and was engaged in the process of drying arecanuts. She took out some petrol from the tank of a trimming machine and poured into an oven to light it.
Suddenly the fire spread to her clothes. When she screamed out for help, there was no one around. But by sheer reflex, she hit upon the idea of jumping into the well nearby to douse the fire.
It was not exactly a wise thing to do as the well had deep water. However she was lucky enough to catch hold of a strong root of a plant that had grown inside the well. Local youth David Dheera Crasta and Kushalappa Menala arrived and pulled her out.
She has suffered severe burn injuries. But she is said to be recovering in a private hospital.