New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) Does the scorching sun make your house warmer? Use blackout window dressings, and close windows and window coverings in the morning before the day heats up to keep your house cool in summer, says an expert.
Interior designer Monica Kamal, managing director, MKC, has shared do-it-yourself tips on how to keep your haven cool:
* Use soothing fabrics like cotton, muslin, linen in cool pastel shades for soft furnishing to get that ultimate comfort.
* Use blackout window dressings to keep out the strong rays. You can also hang tightly woven screens or bamboo shades outside the window to keep cool.
* Close windows and window coverings in the morning before the day heats up, and then open them in the evening to flush your house with cooler air. This is especially important for the south-west side.
* Turn off lights and electronic items when not in use as they generate a lot of heat. You can also use CFL bulbs for that cool feel.
* Area rugs should be rolled and stacked away to give a tidy and uncluttered feel.
* You may also try indoor plants to create a natural atmosphere and improve the air quality.