Suzlon Company Lockout leaves more than 500 Employees in Limbo

Suzlon Company Lockout leaves more than 500 Employees in Limbo

Padubidri: More than 500 workers lost their jobs after the Suzlon company suspended their operations at Padubidri here on November 14.

The Plant Head of Suzlon put a lockout notice on front of the gate mentioning “In accordance with the provisions of subsection 2 of section 22 of the Industrial Disputes Act 1947, we hereby give notice to all concerned that it is our intention to effect lockout for all the workers whose names are mentioned in the Annexure 1. In the meanwhile, the management has decided to suspend the operations from today i.e.from the date of this notice. All concerned workers are advised to take notice.”

Speaking to mangalorean.com one of the employee Ganesh Karkera said, “Our company is producing rotor blades. When I came to work I saw a lockout notice on the entrance of our company gate. I was shocked to read the notice because without our knowledge we have been removed from work. Six months ago more than 700 employees on a contract basis were terminated. Later when we protested 100 workers were re-appointed. Fifteen days ago 130 employees on a contract basis were terminated from the company.”

Ganesh Karkera further said, “According to law, the company should serve a one month notice to the employees. The company has informed the night shift workers not to come to work as they wanted to save power. But those who had gone to work on November 13, at 3 pm, they were sent out after they finished their shift. Without serving the notice the company cannot terminate us. The company is giving the reason that it is running on loss and the workers are not performing their duties well which is far from the truth.”

Another employee Anil said, “I have been working with this company for the past 10 years. In the beginning, the company was paying me Rs 5500 salary which is now increased to Rs 15,000. But last month they deducted 50% of my salary.”

In the meantime, Deputy Commissioner Priyanka Mary Francis, along with the superintendent of police, Labour Department officials and also the local political leaders, held a meeting to discuss the issue.

Francis took the company to task for taking the groundless decision and making the labourers deprived of their livelihood. She has also warned to take back 641.95 acre of land offered to the company through KIADB. She said, “It is unethical to announce the decision to lock out.”

Speaking to media persons, she said that the company should have issued a prior notice. “Labour Department deputy commissioner from Shivamogga will take up further inquiry into the issue. The company also is under SEZ and hence the SEZ development commissioner from Kochi has been contacted, who in turn would send a team in another two days for the verification of the incident,” said Francis.

She said the company should have given 14 days’ notice to the labourers.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here