United Nations, Sep 27 (IANS) The UN launched an ambitious public-private strategy to end preventable deaths of women, children and adolescents.
UN launched an initial commitment of $25 billion for the next five years to provide life-saving treatments, from immunisations to perinatal care, Xinhua news agency reported.
The global strategy for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health includes new policies and partnership from 40 countries and more than 100 international organisations, philanthropic foundations, UN agencies, civil society and the private sector.
“The strategy, which I am proud to launch today, will help to build resilient and healthy societies,” said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
“We have shown that our partnership can yield concrete results,” Ban said. “I, and the entire UN system, remain dedicated to saving and improving the lives of the most vulnerable amongst us.”
The commitments include $3.3 billion from the US, $2.6 billion from Canada, $2.5 billion from Sweden, $1.3 billion from Germany, $420 million from Norway, $326 million from the Netherlands, and $300 million from South Korea.
Earlier this year, Ban said remarkable progress had already been made on preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission, increasing availability of oral rehydration therapy for treating infant diarrhoea, exclusive breastfeeding and in post-natal care for women, as well as increasing professional maternity care, family planning, childhood vaccinations, and prenatal care.
Saturday’s announcement came after adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by world leaders on Friday, comprising 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that aim to wipe out extreme poverty, fight inequality and tackle climate change over the next 15 years.