UN mission slams deadly attack in Kabul

United Nations, Aug 8 (IANS) The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has condemned what it called ” indiscriminate attack” in Kabul, which has killed at least eight civilians and injured more than 200 others, a UN spokesman said here.

Nicholas Haysom, UN secretary-general’s special representative for Afghanistan, on Friday reiterated the Mission’s repeated calls for the immediate ban on weapons which have been used to kill and maim indiscriminately, and to cease attacks in civilian-populated areas, Xinhua quoted UN spokesman Stephane Duarric as saying.

Earlier this week, the UN mission released its latest report on civilian casualties in Afghanistan, documenting nearly 5,000 casualties, including more than 1,500 deaths in the first half of 2015.

Reports said 240 civilians, including 47 women and three children were wounded in the blast which took place at around 1.00 a.m. on Friday in a populated area in the Afghan capital.

While no group has claimed responsibility for the incident, reports hinted Taliban was behind the deadly attack.

Leave a Reply