US attorney general defends decision on Clinton email probe
Washington, July 13 (IANS) US Attorney General Loretta Lynch on Tuesday steadfastly defended her decision not to charge Hillary Clinton in her email investigation, but also refused to discuss details of the case despite Congressional Republicans’ grilling.
“I accepted that (FBI) recommendation. I saw no reason not to accept it,” said Lynch here at a House Judiciary Committee hearing. “The matter was handled like any other matter,” she added.
After a year-long federal investigation into whether Clinton had mishandled classified information during her stint in the US State Department, FBI Director James Comey announced on July 5 his agency would not recommend any criminal charges against Clinton while blasting Clinton and her senior aides as being “extremely careless” in handling sensitive information, Xinhua reported.
One day later, Lynch announced the Justice Department’s decision to end the investigation with no criminal charges after her meeting with Comey.
The announcement immediately drew criticism from Republicans and raised concerns that Clinton was treated on a double standard.
However, Lynch on Tuesday refused to discuss details on the federal investigation into Clinton’s email practices despite Congressional Republicans’ request for more details of her decision.
“While I understand that this investigation has generated significant public interest, as attorney general, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on the underlying facts of the investigation or the legal basis for the team’s recommendation,” said Lynch.
Lynch’s hearing came five days after Comey underwent a marathon congressional hearing, in which the FBI director in a rare move offered detailed information on the case.
It was during that hearing Comey confirmed to US lawmakers that while the FBI found no basis to conclude that Clinton had lied to the FBI, some of the former US secretary of state’s email defences were false.
Weapons of war have no place on America’s streets: Clinton
Washington, July 13 (IANS) Presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton called on Tuesday for an end to racism and gun violence in the US during her first joint rally with primary rival Senator Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., in New Hampshire.
Just minutes after Sanders endorsed Clinton, the former secretary of state said trust and respect must be restored between police and communities to avoid more tragedies like the massacre in Dallas.
“Surely, we can agree that weapons of war have no place on the streets of America,” the 68-year-old Clinton said, according to EFE news agency.
Clinton said she supported bias training and nationwide use-of-force guidelines for police officers to curb the “tragedy of black men and women and black children being killed in police incidents”.
The former first lady called on both the law enforcement community and civilians to “develop national guidelines for the use of force by police officers”.
“Our police should never have to face a madman, a racist, a person filled with hatred with an assault weapon. We owe it to every officer who puts his or her life on the line to protect us, so let’s protect them,” Clinton said.
Five police officers were killed and seven others wounded during last week’s shooting in Dallas.
The attack took place during a peaceful Black Lives Matter protest over the fatal police shootings of two African-American men in Louisiana and Minnesota.