Washington, Feb 17 (IANS) US State Department on Tuesday confirmed that three Americans who were “reported as missing” in Iraq last month have been released.
“We sincerely appreciate the assistance provided by the government of Iraq, and its whole-of-government effort to bring about the safe release of these individuals,” State Department spokesman Mark Toner said in a press release, Xinhua reported.
Toner thanked Iraq’s security forces, defence ministry and intelligence service for their efforts “in achieving this outcome”.
The identities of the three Americans released were not disclosed in the press release.
They were said to be kidnapped from a “suspicious apartment” in Baghdad, the Iraqi capital, last month.