Vinay Kumar Sorake distributes Catholic Sabha Arogya Suraksha cards
Udupi: Catholic Sabha Udupi Pradesh and Shirva deanery jointly organised the distribution of Arogya Suraksha cards and Deanery-level Annual Get Together for their members at the Saud Bhavan, Shirva on Sunday the 25th September.
The event began with invoking God’s blessings through a hymn sang by Choir members of Pangala Parish followed by a warm welcome by President of Catholic Sabha, Shirva Deanery Melwin Arrana.
All the guests of honour were accorded a warm welcome and felicitated with roses namely Fr Stany Tauro (Parish Priest Shirva), Fr Lawrence D’Souza (Asst. Priest, Syrian Church Brahmawar), Fr Mahesh D’Souza (Principal, Don Bosco English Medium School), Veronica Cornelio (Former Chairperson, Karnataka Soaps and Detergents Ltd.), Wilson Rodrigues (Member Jilla Panchayat Shirva), Michael D’Souza (Taluke Panchayat Member, Mudarangadi), Fr Ferdinand Fernandes (Spiritual Director). U S Sripathi (General Manager, Health Insurance Manipal University). Vinaykumar Sorake (Former Minister for Urban Development) and Wilson D’Souza (VP, Parish Council, Shirva Parish).
The grand event was inaugurated by lighting the lamp by Fr Stany Tauro, followed by all the guests of honour on the dais.
Speaking on the occasion Fr Stany Tauro congratulated Catholic Sabha Udupi for taking up various issues pertaining to the development and uplifting of the people of the diocese and congratulated them for their dedicated service. He said that he was informed that around 400 members would be present today but looking at the crowd it appears that more than 400 members are present which shows the sign of unity among the members, he was glad that most of the members are dedicated and service oriented.
On occasion three eminent personalities who have won the recent panchayat elections namely: Wilson Rodrigues, Michael D’Souza, and Melwin D’Souza were honoured by Vinay Kumar Sorake, Fr Stany Tauro and Fr Lawrence D’Souza. They were felicitated with Shawls, flower garlands and fruits.
Veronica Cornelio highlighted various achievements of the Catholic Sabha Udupi Diocese i.e. every effort has been made to get Manipal Health Card to every member of the diocese, 90% of people have been provided with these medical cards and most of them are utilizing it and are benefitting. Efforts are being made to provide the remaining 10% with these cards as they are either not aware of the facility or some other reasons.
Speaking on the occasion Sripathi Rao said that many are not aware of the benefits of the Health Card provided by the Manipal hospital. He applauded the work and efforts done by Catholic Sabha members to seek each member of the district and see that they get these cards. He further said that if there is any special treatment required, people need to consult the doctors with the free service for members holding this special health card.
Vinayak Sorake said that it is very important to take preventive measures to protect your health and towards this efforts are needed to be made especially towards stopping the chemicals discharged by factories and industries. He had initiated this project where he had instructed to take appropriate action to stop discharging waste water into the sea or rivers so that people can live a healthy life. Also a lot of measures taken to improve the road facilities namely double roads from Shirva to Katpady and Shirva to Atradi for which the work is going to begin very soon. Special efforts have been initiated to provide a broader road to the recently blessed Attur St. Lawrence Basilica.
On this auspicious occasion, a new health card was released by Sorake and presented to a family. Also, two students were honoured on the occasion namely Roy Alan Roy Mathias from Pernal Parish who successfully completed his CA (Chartered Accountant) and Ruby Flavia Menezes of Kalatur Parish for bagging Silver Medal in her M.Tech examination. They were felicitated with Shawls, flower garlands and fruits by Fr. Stany Tauro, Fr. Lawrence D’Souza and Veronica Cornelio.
All the ward leaders including the sponsors were felicitated with flowers. The new Manipal Health Cards were presented to the ward leaders by Vinayak Sorake.
Vote of thanks was delivered by Leena Machado, Secretary Shirva Deanery. The entire programme was compered by Gilbert Pinto shirva and Juliet D’Souza (Pangla).