Mexico City, Sep 30 (IANS) The Mexican government is seeking the truth about what happened to the 43 students who disappeared a year ago in the state of Guerrero, Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osirio Chong has said.
Chong reiterated the Mexican government’s pledge to clear up the facts. “Local authorities were in collusion with those committing the crimes, which led to painful events,” he said on Tuesday while appearing before the Senate.
There will be no pardon to those responsible and that the victims would not be forgotten, Xinhua quoted Chong as saying.
It has been a year since September 26, 2014, when 43 students from the rural school, Raul Isidro Burgos, in Ayotzinapa town disappeared after a group of police officers stopped the buses in which they were travelling.
A total of 111 people were arrested but all those involved must be arrested, Chong said to the Senate during a meeting on Tuesday.
Last week, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto met with the relatives of the students and told them “the government and society were on the same side” in their quest for justice.