Wozniacki stokes sexism fire at Wimbledon

Wimbledon, July 7 (IANS) Danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki has sparked a sexism row at Wimbledon after saying women do not play enough on the major courts.

The former world No.1 on Monday said she would “love” to play on the show courts but women were not given the opportunity enough.

The 24-year-old was speaking after being knocked out by Spain’s Garbine Muguruza 6-4, 6-4 in their fourth round match on Court Two.

“You only get one women’s match on Court One and Centre Court. Most of last week it was only one women’s match on Court Two as well,” Wozniacki was quoted as saying by itv.com.

“It’s definitely different, that’s all I can say. I think a lot of us women feel like we deserve to play on the big courts in front of a big crowd, as well.”

In her previous matches in this year’s tournament, fifth seed Wozniacki has played on Centre Court, Court 12 and Court One.

On Monday there were two men’s singles matches and one women’s singles match on Centre Court and Court One. Most days of the tournament so far this year have seen more men’s matches on the two main courts than women’s.

A spokesman for the All England Club declined to comment.

During Wozniacki’s press conference, reporters were told to “stick to tennis questions” after she was asked about an ankle injury suffered by her golf champion ex-fiance Rory McIlroy.

Leave a Reply