Home Mangalorean News Local News BJP demands K’taka govt’s statement over ‘encounter’ of 3 poachers in Chamarajanagar...

BJP demands K’taka govt’s statement over ‘encounter’ of 3 poachers in Chamarajanagar reserve forest

Spread the love

BJP demands K’taka govt’s statement over ‘encounter’ of 3 poachers in Chamarajanagar reserve forest

Bengaluru:  The BJP on Monday raised the issue of the encounter deaths of three poachers in a reserve forest in Chamarajanagar district in the Legislative Assembly, alleging that the government had committed “murders in the name of an encounter.”

The BJP also demanded a statement from the government on the floor of the House.

Leader of Opposition in the Assembly, R. Ashoka, said the incident had shocked the state and claimed that farmers and the families of the deceased had raised serious questions over the circumstances surrounding the operation.

Speaker G.S. Patil intervened and said that the Question Hour should be taken up first.

However, Ashoka urged the Speaker to set aside the Question Hour, asking whether the state government was directly responsible for the deaths of the three persons.

“We have to raise this issue and question their deaths. Even the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister has reacted to the incident,” Ashoka said.

Deputy Chief Minister G. Parameshwara said the Opposition should first submit a notice before raising the matter in the House.

Senior BJP MLA, V. Sunil Kumar, however, said issuing a notice was one matter, but the government should have made a suo motu statement as soon as the House convened.

“It has been 24 hours since the incident. Three persons have died, and the government does not want to make a statement. How is this possible?” he questioned.

Sunil Kumar demanded that Forest and Ecology Minister Ramalinga Reddy and Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar make a statement explaining what had happened.

“As per the rules, it is their duty to make a statement. Will you make a statement after another encounter? This shows how concerned this government is about farmers,” he said.

Questioning Parameshwara, Sunil Kumar asked whether the government was “running away” from the issue and alleged that the government could not “shoot at farmers” without providing an explanation.

Parameshwara rejected the allegation, saying the government was not running away from anything.

“There is nothing for the government to run away from. We will make the statement. There is no issue. You give notice,” he said.

BJP members subsequently staged a protest in the House and demanded that the government immediately make a statement.

“There has been an encounter. The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister has said that there should be protection and justice in Karnataka. Lakhs of Tamil-speaking people are residing in Karnataka,” Ashoka said.

He also questioned why no police officer had been suspended and alleged that a mahazar had not been conducted in the matter.

“The government will have to make a statement. Until then, we will not budge,” Ashoka said.

Sunil Kumar also hit out at the government over its demand for a notice to discuss the issue.

“Did the police issue a notice to the accused before they were encountered?” he asked.

Speaker G.S. Patil said Forest Minister Ramalinga Reddy had spoken to him in the morning and informed him that he would make a statement in the House. However, the Speaker said he had asked the minister to make the statement after the Question Hour.

Former Home Minister and BJP MLA Araga Jnanendra questioned whether the government would “shoot and kill anyone who entered the forests” in the state.

Ashoka maintained that the issue had gone beyond Karnataka, pointing to the reaction from the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.

“This issue is no longer confined to the state. The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister has condemned the Karnataka government. Despite all this, this government does not have the sensitivity to make a statement,” he said.

It can be recalled that, on August 15, 2026, three poachers were shot dead by forest personnel during an anti-poaching operation in the Shanghya forest area of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Karnataka’s Chamarajanagar district. The incident triggered intense local protests, an FIR filing against forest staff, and demands for a judicial probe.

Forest officials reported seizing a country-made gun (nadabandooku) and deer meat from the spot. Officials stated that the group consisted of habitual poachers who illegally entered the protected area. They said the staff opened fire in self-defence after the hunters attempted to shoot at them.

Families and local villagers disputed the poaching claim, accusing forest personnel of staging a fake encounter, alleging the victims were first captured and then shot at close range. An FIR has been registered against the involved forest personnel at the Hanur Police Station.

The state government ordered a magisterial inquiry, and officials promised a transparent investigation alongside compensation for the victims’ families


Spread the love
Subscribe
Notify of

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

0 Comments
wpDiscuz
0
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Exit mobile version