Mr Raghavendra Rao – Mangalorean Star
Mangalorean.com is proud to present one of the most eminent Educationists and entrepreneur of Mangalore, Mr Raghavendra Rao, Founder and Chairman of A. Shama Rao Foundation, as the Mangalorean Star for the month of August.
A. Shama Rao Foundation was specifically established to impart quality and sustainable education to all. This foundation was born out of the belief of Shri A. Shama Rao, that education is the engine to transform society. The “Srinivas Group of Colleges” is one such venture that is sponsored by the A. Shama Rao Foundation.
The foundation has always believed that excellence should be their motto. Excellence, which will deliver professional manpower to the industry and the nation at large. The Group has constantly strived to provide the best of the faculty members and state-of-the art facilities. The students are encouraged and supported not only to excel in academics, but also to develop their personality through extra curricular activities.
Mr. Raghavendra Rao was born on 16th October, 1937, to Late Shama Rao, (Retd, Headmaster, BEM Higher Secondary P.U. College, Carstreet, Mangalore) and Mrs. A. Indiramma at Benagal, Pejamangore Village, Udupi. He completed his elementary education in SVS Elementary School, Innanje and then joined the SVH High School. He pursued his graduation in Commerce at the M.G.M. College in Udupi and came to Mangalore to pursue his higher education in Chartered Accountancy.
Married to Vijayalaxmi in the year 1964, they have two children – Padmini and Srinivas. Padmini is married to Dr. Uday Kumar and Srinivas is married to Mitra. Mr. Raghavendra Rao is presently a proud grandfather to four grandchildren.
Reaching the present position he holds has not been easy and has involved a lot of hard work and commitment. He was the only CA from the region to be elected on Council since the inception of 1949 and this record has not been beaten by anyone till date. Meanwhile, he became the elected secretary of the Canara Chamber of Commerce for the year 1983 – 84 and set up his independent practice as Chartered Accountant at Felix Pai Bazar, Mangalore in 1965. He was the Senior Partner of M/S. Raghavendra Chartered Accountants Mangalore and having 7 branches in other cities. After completion of his CA, he set up his own office in 1965 and practiced for three years, mainly picking up income tax and giving up sales tax practice. Since then, he has not looked back.
During his service, Mr. Raghavendra Rao has been privileged to meet several top leaders of the country as well as top officials and discuss with them, some of the problems about the development of the region. In the year 1988, he had set up a new trust “A. Shama Rao Foundation” and the Vice Chancellor of Mangalore University supported and encouraged him a lot and under his able guidance, he set up his first Professional Degree College in Hotel Management namely the “Srinivas College of Hotel Management” was established in August 1988. The strength of the college was only seven in the inaugural year and it was affiliated under the B.H.M degree discipline by the Mangalore University.
The second year, the strength was 11 and the number of students went on increasing every year and now, it has 100 students every year. In 1993, he set up the Srinivas Physiotherapy College and the college started with only seven students. Today, it is affiliated to Rajeev Gandhi University for its quality teaching with Post graduate teachers and a research centre. After that, he went on setting up new degree colleges in various fields of education.
Carrier: He started his carrier with one staff in his office, now 75 employees work under his CA firm. In 1979, he contested for the South India Regional Council of Institute of Charted Accountant in Chennai and won the election during his four years of time. In the council, he served as a Chairman of the India regional Charted Accountant Students Association at Chennai and also as secretary of S.I. R.C for sometime. During this time, he was the taxation committee Chairman of the SIRC and conducted regional taxation seminars at Mangalore. During the year 1980, he planned and set up a 3 star Vegetarian hotel in Mangalore, and named it as “Hotel Srinivas”. In 1984, the Classification Committee of the Tourism Ministry of India inspected the hotel and classified it as a 3 Star Hotel. It is the first pure vegetarian hotel to be classified as pure vegetarian hotel in Karnataka.
• Articleship of Chartered Accountancy course under Late Sr. A Umanath Rao, C.A. Mangalore.
• Member of Institute of C.A of India in 1965 (A.C.A.) & Fellow of ICAI in 1970 (F.C.A)
• 1979 to 1983- Member of the Southern Indian Regional Council of Chartered Accountants of India, Madras.
• 1980 t0 1981- Chairman of the SIRC C A Students Association, Madras
• 1982 to 83 – Secretary of SIRC, Madras
• Leading consultant & Auditor for Finance, Trading Commercial & Industrial Concerns.
• 1985 to 1987 – President of Canara Chamber of Commerce & Industry
• 1983 to 1984 – Secretary of Canara Chamber of Commerce & Industry
• 1984to 1985 – Vice-president of the Kanara Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
• Chairman of Advisory Committee to Canara Chamber of Commerce & Industry for several years.
• 1985 to 1987- Member of the Karnataka Telephone Advisory Committee
• 1987 – Member of the Customs Advisory Committee for the Karnataka Customs Collectorate.
• 1987 to 1988 Working President of Besant Women’s National Education Society.
• Chaired many of the Taxation and Accounting Seminars held at Madras, Belgaum and Mangalore.
• Attended a number of All India Conferences conducted by ICAI and Hotel & Tourism Convention Organized by FHRAI, New Delhi.
Awards and Recognition
• 27.12.1995– ‘Shree Krishnanugraha award’ from Paryaya, Shri Sheeroor mutt, Udupi
• 18.01.1998- ‘Shree Krishnanugraha award’ from Paryaya, Shri Kaniyoor Mutt, Udupi
• 20.12.1999- ‘Loka Shastra Seva Praveena’ award from Paryaya Shri Kaniyoor Mutt, Udupi
• 01.11.2004 – District Level Rajyotsava Award of Govt. of Karnataka.
• 28.05.2006 – ‘VIPRA JANA’ Award from D.K. Dravd Brahmins Association, Mangalore.
• 26.08.2006 – ‘Chitrabharathi’ Award for the contribution in the filed of education from Chitrabharathi Tulu Chitraranga.
• 23.12.2008 –’Outstanding Manager Award 2008′ by Mangalore Management Association
• 01.01.2009 – Achiever’s New Year Award 2009, for the distinguished service to the Society in the filed of Education, Commerce & Industry by Academy of General Education, Manipal, along with Rotary Club of Udupi – Manipal and Syndicate Bank, Manipal.
• 03.01.2009 – “SIRC Diamond Jubilee Award” for senior Chartered Accountants.
• Member & Founder President of Kala Sangama, a Cultural body
• Life Member of Mangalore Productivity Council and Mangalore Management Association.
• Past member of Rotary Club of Mangalore
• Past member of the Senate of Mangalore University – 1985- 88 and 1995 – 1998
• Hotel Srinivas – 3 Star Hotel in Mangalore
• Udupi Srikrishna Bhavan, Mangalore.
• Srinivas Estates Pvt. Ltd.,
Founder & President
• A. Shama Rao Foundation.
• Srinivas College of Hotel Management (BHM)
• Srinivas College of Physiotherapy( BPT/MPT).
• Srinivas Institute of Management Studies (MBA/MCA)
• Srinivas College of P.G. Management Studies(BCA/BBM/MSW)
• Srinivas College of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)
• Srinivas Institute of Nursing Sciences (B.Sc.N/M.Sc.N)
• A Shama Rao Nursing School(GNM)
• Srinivas College of Education (B.Ed.)
• Srinivas Institute of Technology (BE/MBA/MCA)
• Vijayalakshmi Institute of Hospitality Sciences (B.Sc. (HS)
• A. Raghavendra Rao Charitable Trust.
• Adka Shama Rao & A. Indiramma Charitable Trust.
• Vijayalakshmi Education Trust
• Srinivas Management Academy for Research & Training Trust (SMART Trust)
• Srinivas Institute of Rural Reconstruction Agency(SIRRA)
Travel: Far and South East and Middle East countries and visited many of the ancient Temples and places in India including ‘Kailas’ Mountain and Manasa Sarovara in Tibet.
Mr Raghavendra Rao’s Hobbies include reading tax journals and commercial journals and to educate and bring out more students into the education field.
He says waiting for his CA results in 1965, which were very doubtful, has been an unforgettable experience for him. “If I would have not passed, there was no future for me. I would be a common man,” he concludes.
He places a lot of emphasis on hard work and his message to the readers is not much different from his own goals. He says. “Work hard and build up a constructive thinking for future generations. People should be good to one another. We have to keep everyone happy, and there should be no room for jealousy among our brethren. We have to try to lift up someone and not to pull them down. We have to think of others prosperity and not disparity.”
What is his vision for the future, we ask him. He responds “Transforming Society through Education by setting up academic institutions in dynamic equilibrium with its social, ecological and economic environment striving continuously for excellence in education, research and technological service to the nation.”
In keeping with this vision, Mr. Raghavendra’s immediate future plans are to start a Medical and Dental College and higher studies Institutions for fine arts and Sanskrit.
Mangalorean.com wishes this modern visionary success in all his endeavours.
Samit Sanyal/ALFRESCO Tourism, India:
Excellent. Went through the life history of an Idian which is really amazing and in a truest sense it appears to be a roll model for the future generation of the country who wants to live with conviction.
May God bless him.
Really great sir
you will be role model for the youth who wants to work hard and achieve something great things in the life.
Dr Prasad Akshitnhala, USA:
I enjoyed reading this article, particularly inspired by Mr. Rao’s emphasis on hard work and his message to be helpful to fellow human beings. It would be an honor to meet this gentleman during my annual visit to Mangalore in December.
PRASANNA BYAHATTI BANGALORE, India:
ARTICLE HAS COME OUT NICELY. INDEED, SRI RAGHAVEDRA RAO HAS RENDERED YEOMEN’S SERVICE TO THE EDUCATION SECTOR AND SOCIETY. WISHING HIM ALL THE BEST.
ganesh poojary, India:
Real hero!!!!!! Outstanding & wish u do well in future.
Ashish sharma, India:
Sir, I m not able to comment this article but salute to u sir.
its a wonderful artcle on a wonerful man. its ppl like raghavendra sir, made mangalore an education kashi. hats off to u sir.
Balakrishna T. Shetty, Palladakody/M\’lore/Riyadh, India:
Hats off to you dear respected Mr. Raghavendraji. You are our shining star.
“We have to try to lift up someone and not to pull them down. We have to think of others prosperity and not disparity”. Its really a heart touching messages to all. Where is Good there is God. May God bless you sir.
Ar.Agnes frankBs. Shubhada, India:
Dear Esteemed Sir, Hearty Congratulations for the wonderful and noble achievements which last in the hearts and lives of people through your Srinivas foundations.
Moinuddin H.S,Karkala-Dubai., India:
Congrats……..Proud to be educated from S.C.P.G.M.S.
sonia Ajay, India:
Respected sir, it is our honour to have you as our leader. we are truly proud to be a part of srinivas family.
Congratulations Sir, you are doing a great job. Keep up your good work. May God bless you sir.
sir u truly deserve this honour. we are very happy to have a eminent personality in our district..
JPN, Sharjah, UAE:
Congratulations Mr. Raghavendra Rao for being featured as the Mangalorean star. We are very proud of you.
Austin Prabhu, USA:
Congratulations to Raghavendra Rao on being named as the Mangalorean Star for the month of August 2009. Your inspiration and motivation bring new youth leaders in our communities. Wish you all the best in your future mission.
Ramesh Bhatt, udupi, UAE:
Sir great job…. we are proud of you.
Kuntikanamata Kumar, UK:
Dear Raghavendra rao it is really fantastic achievement. There are many chartered accountants who spent whole of their life in caluculating tax but you have done it different way. You are a motivator to young generation to do some thing in life.