Prof. Dr M Abdul Rahiman – Mangalorean Star
He may be having a host of degrees attached to his name, but Prof. Dr. M. Abdul Rahiman (MSc, PhD, MNASc, FNESA, FAEB, FIAES) is a man of deep humility and great bearing. A self made man, he is an academician whose whole life has been based on his quest for knowledge.
Prof. Dr M Abdul Rahiman is at present, a Higher Educational Consultant and has been Former Chairman for the Calicut University Commission, Govt. of Kerala and the PG Dept of Bio Sciences, Mangalore University, India. In addition he has also been Former Vice Chancellor for the Kannur and Calicut Universities, Kerala, India.
He was born on 1st July 1940 to Mr. & Mrs. Haji M Moidenabba (Founder of Badriya Institutions), Mangalore. Abdul was married to Mrs. Laila (from Mahe) in 1966. He has an elder brother Dr. Hussain, who is a senior Pediatrician.
Prof. Dr Rahiman completed his early education in the Rosario School. He completed his graduation in Mangalore. He then took up a career in research and completed his PhD Degree from Mysore University in 1969. He was in the Post Graduate Teaching Faculty of the Mangalore University since its inception up to June 2000.
Prof. Rahiman worked as a Higher Education Consultant at the Gulf University for Science & Technology, Kuwait, which was the first Private University established in Kuwait and has collaborated with the University of Missouri, St. Louis, U.S.A during 2003. He is also the first PhD holder in the Muslim Community in Mangalore.
His field of specialization is Environmental Genetic Toxicology. He has published and presented more than 75 scientific papers in National and International Journals and seminars and is a recognized Research Guide. Thirteen students have got their PhD degree under his able guidance.
He has visited several universities and scientific Institutions within India and foreign Countries like Japan, Singapore, Germany, Greece and several Universities in the Middle Eastern countries like U.A.E, Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
Positions and Responsibilities held:
• At present he is the Vice President of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi for the period of 2008 to 2010.
• Chairman of a major science PG Department of Biosciences for more than two decades.
• Chairman of the PG Board of studies in Bioscience and UG Board of studies in zoology of Mangalore University.
• Served as a member of Board of Studies of Life Sciences of all universities of Karnataka State and many other Universities in India.
• Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology of Mangalore University.
• Served as a member of Academic Council, Senate and Syndicate of Mangalore University for many years.
• Chief of the Employment Information and Guidance Bureau of Mangalore University.
• Founder President of Mangalore University Co-operative Society.
• Vice President of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi from 1998 – 2002.
• Founder Vice Chancellor of Kannur University, Kerala for a period of 4 years i.e., from 1996 – 1999.
• Worked as the Vice Chancellor of University of Calicut (Additional Charge) for a period nearly 2 years. Hence, has the rare opportunity of heading two Universities simultaneously for a period of 20 months. This gave him a unique experience of managing and directing the administrative and Academic activities of these Universities, centers of higher learning.
• Chairman of Calicut University commission, constituted by the Govt. of Kerala (May 2000 to Jan 2001) to review the performance analysis of the university activities during past ten years. The report entitle “Vision, Insight & innovations” was submitted to the Government of Kerala, during January 2001.
• Serving as a Chairman of the peer teams of the National assessment and accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalorefor the assessment and accreditation of the institutions all over India.
• Nominated member of the scrutiny committee of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore 2003.
• Higher Educational Consultant, Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) Kuwait, May 2003 – Nov 2003.
Honors and Awards
• Recipient of the Best Scientist Award, 1997 of National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi for the achievement and contributions to the Higher Education and research in the field of Genetic Toxicology.
• Recipient of “Dr Shivarama Karanth International Suvarna Parisara Rathna Award. 1998”.
• Bharatha Rathna Sir. M Vishveshvarahiah National Parisara Rathna Award 1999 given by National Pollution Control and Environment conservation committee, Bangalore in recognition of his service in pollution control and environment conservation.
• Recognized as the Man of the year 2000 among the outstanding personalities of the 20th century by the world’s prestigious American Biographical Institute (ABI) North Carolina, USA.
• Has also been chosen and conferred with an Honorary appointment to the Research Board of Advisors, 1999 by ABI, North California, USA.
• Received the Honorary Fellowship (FIAES) and a Gold Medal of the Indian Academy of Environmental Sciences, Hardhwar on 31st December 2002, in recognition of his contribution to Higher Education and Research in the field of Life Sciences.
• Received the Fellowship Award – 2003 of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi for his Contributions to the field of Higher Education, research, administration and consultancy. The award was given by NESA during its annual conference held during April 2004 at New Delhi.
Prof. Rahiman places a great deal of importance on education and the virtues of hard work. His message to the readers is “Quality education should be given to our budding generation so that they can face the challenges of life. Due to liberalization, privatization and globalization there is a competition at the global level. Students should be trained in the respective subjects like general knowledge and communication of English. If we work hard we can achieve anything in life.”
K.K.Shetty, Joint Secretary, Central Silk Board, India:
I am your student of Bio Sciences Department during 1981. A noble Professor and well known personality. My philosopher and guide. I wish u all the best
K.K.Shetty.Joint Secretary, Central Silk Board, Govt. of India, Bangalore
IBRAHIM BATHISHA G, India:
RECIEVED A SCHOLARSHIP
Md. Nasir Khan, Dewan Institute, Meerut U.P. India, India:
am not your student but i am very proud to meet you. I have met for just two days during naac. But i feel you are with me every time. Dear sir your working style is realy great. You can easily judge a person in first look. My wish For your good health AAmin.
fakhruddin meerut (U.P.), India:
Dear sir——- assalamualikum.
i am not your student but i am very proud to meet you. your personality will become my strength. i feel that you are very senior educationist in india. i meet you naac insperction bds gurukul of education meerut 9 and 10 march 2011.
good day sir.
Dr Seetharama Rao K.P., Cayman Islands:
I am honoured to say that I was your student, and the one favoured by you.
I am proud to see that the award “mangalorean Star” has been rightly awarded to the most deserved scholar and more than that, a perfect gentleman. You have inspired a lot of youngsters and have guided them towards academic excellence. I wish you a very happy and peaceful days ahead. I wish that you continue to serve humanity for many more years to come.
Shahul Hameed,Falnir, Alkhobar., Saudi Arabia:
You are a great educationist. You really deserve for this honour and wishing more national and international honour for your tireless and selfishless efforts in the field of education. My heartful congratulations and thanks to Managalorean.com.
Dr K. Narayana, Kuwait:
I know Prof. Rehman personally and he is a man of great integrity and bestowed with a lot of intelligence. As a scientist I liked him. First time when I met him along with Dr. Seetharama Rao, he told me to do Ph.D. with him with a caution.
May God bless him with good health and happiness in life.
Ravi Shetty, Qatar:
It is really motivating to read the achievement of Dr.Abdul Rahiman. Honors and Awards are showered deservedly. Mangalorean.com also deserves full appreciation for the right choice .Congratulations Dr. Wish you happy and peacful life ahead.
Tulu Koota Qatar
Shakir Ahmed,Muscat, Oman:
Heartly congrats Uncle, we are proud of your achievements, and honors.
abdulla rahim krishnapura, UK:
congradulation to dr rahman
firstname.lastname@example.org AbuDhabi, UAE:
Who says muslims of South Canara & Udupi Districts are backword in educational field, after seeing this great personalitiy….Congradulations Dr Abdur Rahiman on being selected as Mangalorean Star, you deserve it.
We had an opportunity to share a few memorable moment with him during the Scholarship Award Ceremony of Bearys Cultural Forum(Dubai) in Mangalore. He was so simple and humble that I can’t imagine he is a man of such a towering personality laden with so many laurels. Our Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Districts deserves to be called as ” Districts of inteligents ” because of great intelectuals like Dr.M.Abdul Rehman. Thank you mangalorean.com for rightly hanouring him as the Mangalorean Star.
Ahamed Nawaz Packy (Pakkison), UAE:
Dear sir wish u all the best ALLAH bless u with all good wishes…………..Take care Pakkisons Family
Shyama Prasad Sajankila, PhD, India:
Hearty congratulations on being selected as Mangalorean Star…!
I am proud to be your student at Mangalore Unviersity’s Bioscience Department.
Shyama Prasad Sajankila, PhD
girish. p, India:
congrats uncle, for the laurels you ve received. Indeed you are a source of inspiration to the youth including me. your qualities that really stands out is that you are really down to earth and still posses the zeal of a young heart when going about your work.
congrats sir, for being conferred the star of mangalore, you rightly deserve the honor bestowed upon you. and i completely agree on the comments listed below. you stand as a symbol of motivation to the youth of mangalore.
Lily Chandran, Yenepoya University, Mangalore, India:
Heartiest congratulations Sir on being conferred as the “Mangalorean Star” for the month of November 2009. Sir, you are the epitome of humility inspite of having achieved so much. Stalwarts like you serve as an example to the society and especially to our youth. I truly hope the budding generation imbibe the values that you stand for.
Wishing you good health and happiness.
Thank you, Violet, for bringing to light such a great personality. Better late than never.
Jameel (Gulzar Brothers), Qatar:
Congrats doctor for your laurels. May God Almighty bless you with Good health & peace.
Abdul Gafoor, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:
Masha Allah, proud to hear such great news. Best wishes and hopes to hear more good news.
Adamsfamily, Cochin, India:
Better late than never…. this should have appeared long before in honorarium of this exemplary personality!!
ashna, aqib, India:
congrats, granduncle. we are very proud to have such a great person in our family who has achieved soo much in life but still is humble and down to earth. thank you for guiding all the youngsters towards the right path. may you achieve much more.
Dear grandapa congragulation, your not only mangalorean star, your the world star, your the top of the world. Your the two eyes of indian community.
Mashallah and congratulations Dr. M. Abdul Rahiman sir. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “One who treads a path in search of knowledge has his path to Paradise made easy by God…” – Riyadh us-Saleheen, 245
Javed Hussain, India:
Dear Uncle, congratulations.
Your achievements are very impressive and there is a lot for us all to learn from you.
Mohammed Faoud Rehaman, India:
Hearty Congratulations. We all feel really proud to have a person who has achieved so much in life, yet so humble. You have always made people realize the value of education and motivated the younger generation. I should say, its Allah’s blessing that he has given us a father like you.All the best.
Faoud & Sumayya
Muhammed Ali Uchil, Abudhabi, UAE:
Mashallah. I feel proud that he belongs to my community that is BEARY. Heartly congragulations to Dr. M. Abdul Rahaman on beeing introduced by Mangalorean.com as Mangalorean Star. His achievements are very impressive and certainly a beacon to Beary as a part and whole to entire Inidan community. We feel very proud have to a person like you amongest us, and certainly you have very strong motivating effect on upcoming genration of the community. You deserve to remain at the pinnacle of success.
We are lucky to have him to a our community programme at Mangalore and his inspiring speech has given us tremendous moral support on achieving our goal. May Almighty Allah help you to generously spread the knowledge around whole India and with that let our community take advantage of your high Acadamic and other knowledge. Let more and more laurels bestowed upon you from your high Acadamic and other accomplishments.
Thanks to Mangalorean.com and Violet Pereira to given the focus where and whom it deserves.
Prof Rolphie Mascarenhas, Mangalore, India:
Congratulations Prof Dr M Abdul Rahiman for being selected as the Mangalorean Star for the Month of November 2009. It is a well deserved and well earned honour.
I only wished that the Union Govt, the state govt and other institutions involved in imparting education made use of your qualifications, talents and rich experience by involving you actively in various commissions and committees that are being formed for the promotion of quality education in India.
Wish you all the best.
Nazeer Bedrody Uppinangady, India:
Congratulation Prof. Dr. M. Abdul Rahiman you really deserved for Mangalorean Star for the month of November 2009.
Kudpi Rajanikanth Shenoy, India:
Congratulations Prof. Dr. M. Abdul Rahiman, Mangalorean Star for the month of November 2009.
It’s indeed gratifying to note your achievements Sir.
Thanks Violet for introducing such a learned and graceful personality as Mangalorean Star.
Congrats…..You really deserve to be the star.
reem zuleka, India:
I am very happy that my granduncle has been selected as the STAR of the month. He is a role model for all of us.
Shahab, Mangalore, India:
I wish you all the best and may you spread the message of education to the society in all capacity.
Austin Prabhu, USA:
Congratulations to Prof. Dr M. Abdul Rahiman on being named as the Mangalorean Star for the month of November 2009. As you said, “Education is the light of life; without it, life will be filled with darkness!”