Home Agency News Sabarimala review: Vijayan govt treads cautiously as NSS, SNDP press for shift...

Sabarimala review: Vijayan govt treads cautiously as NSS, SNDP press for shift in stand

Spread the love

Sabarimala review: Vijayan govt treads cautiously as NSS, SNDP press for shift in stand

Thiruvananthapuram: With the Supreme Court set to resume hearings on Sabarimala women’s entry verdict review, the Kerala government has signalled caution, saying it will take a considered decision after weighing all aspects of the matter.

State Law Minister P. Rajeev said the issue cannot be reduced to a “yes or no” answer.

Describing it as involving complex constitutional questions, he maintained that the government would finalise its stand after due deliberation.

The earlier position, he noted, had been in compliance with the apex court’s 2018 verdict.

Faith and social reform, he added, must go hand in hand, a formulation reflected in the government’s affidavit before the court.

Earlier in the day, a nine-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court stated it will commence hearing the issues referred in the Sabarimala review matter from April 7.

A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant, while dealing with a batch of review petitions against its September 2018 judgment permitting entry of women of all ages into the Lord Ayyappa temple at Sabarimala, fixed a detailed schedule for the conclusion of arguments by April 22.

It directed all parties to file their written submissions on or before March 14.

As the matter returns to judicial scrutiny, community organisations in Kerala have stepped up pressure on the state to revisit its stance.

The Nair Service Society (NSS) has demanded that the government oppose unrestricted entry of women of all ages.

NSS General Secretary G. Sukumaran Nair said the state and the Devaswom Board must correct their earlier stand that supported young women’s entry.

Insisting that the issue should not be mixed with electoral politics, he said the NSS was firm on protecting faith and expressed hope that the traditional practice currently continuing at Sabarimala would be maintained.

He also called for the withdrawal of cases related to the namajapa protest marches.

A similar view was articulated by the Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam (SNDP Yogam).

Its General Secretary Vellappally Natesan said the government should “correct what needs to be corrected” and oppose women’s entry.

Recalling that the SNDP had earlier termed the verdict disappointing, he said attempts to implement it were not appropriate and asserted that Sabarimala’s customs should not be altered.

He urged the government to take a decision after hearing all sides.

With influential community bodies reiterating opposition and political parties sharpening their positions, the state government’s eventual stand before the Supreme Court is poised to have both legal and electoral ramifications.

 


Spread the love
Subscribe
Notify of

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
wpDiscuz
0
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Exit mobile version