Killers of ex-Miss Venezuela Monica Spear jailed for 30 years

Caracas, Feb 14 (IANS/EFE) The last three defendants in the assault and homicide of ex-Miss Venezuela Monica Spear and her husband in January 2014 were sentenced to 30 years in prison, the maximum penalty under Venezuelan law, the attorney general’s office said on Saturday.

“Considering the convincing proof presented by the prosecution, Alejandro Maldonado Perez, 23, Franklin Cordero Alvarez, 30, and Leonar Marcano Lugo, 35, were sentenced to 30 years in prison,” a note from the AG office said.

Previously sentenced to between 24 and 26 years were Jose Ferreira, 20, Nelfrend Jimenez, 23, and Jean Carlos Colina, 21, while the minor at the time, Gerardo Contreras Alvarez, now 19 years old, was sentenced to four years in jail.

The latter confessed on a video that aired last year on October 2, when a new edition was presented of the book “The Homicide of Monica Spear”, that all of them shot guns, but that he believes it was he who shot the bullet that ended the life of the former beauty queen at the age of 29.

“I didn’t kill her because I wanted to, I just shot and the bullet happened to hit her…I’m not sorry” and “I know that someday I’m going to get out of here,” he told the book’s authors, Maria Isoliett Iglesias and Deivis Ramirez, from his cell.

Those now behind bars gunned down Spear and her British husband, Thomas Henry Berry, 39, on a highway in central Venezuela where they were driving with their five-year-old daughter.

The child was shot in a leg but recovered and was sent to live with her maternal grandfather, Rafael Spear, in Orlando, Florida.

Contreras told the book’s authors how they put rocks on the highway and waited until some vehicle had an accident so they could then assault the people inside it.

“Spear remained quiet – it was a robbery. I searched her. She said nothing. The husband talked, but I didn’t understand anything because he was talking another language,” the convict said, then revealed that he opened fire, he and “everyone”, after the prompt arrival of a tow truck that offered the victims breakdown assistance.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here