Valencia defender Otamendi opens door to big money move

Madrid, June 20 (IANS) Valencia’s Argentinean defender Nicolas Otamendi has opened the door for a possible transfer from the football club he helped to qualify for the Champions League last season.

Otamendi’s performances in helping Valencia finish in fourth place in Spain’s La Liga have attracted the attention of some of Europe’s biggest clubs with Manchester United and Real Madrid thought to be interested in him, Xinhua reported on Friday.

In May, Otamendi’s agent, Eugenio Lopez said that the player “wanted to leave Valencia” and on Friday, speaking from the base of the Argentina national side where it is competing in the Copa America, the player confirmed that wish.

“I spoke at that time (May) with who I had to talk to and Valencia know what I want,” he said, giving Lopez full authority to act on his behalf.

“Every work my agent says is with my authorisation,” confirmed the defender.

After hearing Lopez’s comments last month Valencia president Amadeo Salvo said there were two conditions for Otamendi leaving the club: the first was that the player publically stated he wanted to leave and the second was that a club paid “at least 50 million euros,” (around $55 million).

“I have spoken to the president, (Salvo), he knows what I want to do. Now I am going to leave everything that has to happen in the hands of my agent,” said Otamendi.

Leave a Reply