Paris, May 6 (IANS) Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt has decided to skip this year’s French Open in what is likely to be his last year on the ATP Tour.
The 34-year-old two-time Grand Slam champion opted to focus on Wimbledon and Australia’s Davis Cup quarterfinal against Kazakhstan in July, said his manager David Drysdale, according to L’Equipe’s website, Xinhua reported.
Hewitt, who won the Wimbledon Open in 2002 and the U.S. Open in 2001, said in January that he planned to retire after playing his 20th Australian Open in January 2016.
Having struggled with foot and hip injuries in recent years, Hewitt is currently ranked 108th in the world and not included in the firstly announced 104-man main draw for this year’s French Open men’s singles.
He reached the quarterfinals of the clay-court grand event in 2001 and 2004, but has not been past the first round since 2010.
The tournament starts May 24 at Roland Garros.